• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

JLU 23.x.11 Stan Sulzman Concert

n this unique concert for Jazz Line-Up, Julian Joseph presents Jazz Line-Up from the BBC, Maida Vale studios in London, where Stan Sulzmann plays a special concert with his band Neon, featuring himself on Reeds, Kit Downes, Piano, Jim Hart, Vibes and Tim Giles, Drums.
    In the second half of the concert he augments the band with Mike Walker on Guitar, Dave Whitford on Bass, James Allsop on Bass Clarinet and a very special appearance form UK British trumpet legend Kenny Wheeler.
    .... definitely one to catch i'd say ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

What a line-up! - the best (imho) of two, maybe even three generations of Britjazz coming together. Good ole Stan!

Comment

• handsomefortune

thanks for flagging this up.

i particularly enjoyed the second half of jlu.

apart from audience clapping as soon as the music dipped down a notch .....though appreciative..it annoyed me. i don't know if it's the digi sound of pc speakers, but the bass was nearly inaudible, and drums were great but barely heard. as soon as i could clearly hear them both, as the rhythm section, the clapping started

i need new speakers.

'neon quartet' + guests were great. kenny's flugal was typically terrific, although tbh i'm not a fan of stan's soprano sax playing. tbf mainly because it's my least fave jazz instrument. though i shouldn't mention my own tastes .....

as serial apologist points out, the main point is that it's rare that three generations of Britjazz happens and is broadcast.

stan is obviously a top chap, and not the world's best public speaker (thankfully).

Good ole Stan!

'warm rocky place' was great, (had an intro to die for) and also a piece called 'new balls' (according to my notes...which may relate to just about anything tbh ..it was getting very late at night) , i don't have time right now to re-check the jlu archive list, since it takes forever and i'm rushing.

much better to potter in stan's 'ruskin's retreat' ...perfect sunday, late night, chilled out listening.

in between times, fantastic incidental, stray snatches of guitar from mike walker - (although according to my notes he apparently is on 'connifer' ) also, james allsop's bass clarinet was richer than xmas pud... amongst the other instruments.

all together they sounded great..... particularly on 'warm rocky place'. which i shall have to listen again to if i get time, before access to this edition finishes.

(i keep leaving my r3 jazz 'listen agains' till they're at emergency level of late .... it's may be some sort of subconscious inner protest on my part, due to recent beeb schedule changes? at least i never used to leave myself little/no time, or last minute listenings.....nevertheless, i was acutely aware that i could have listened to 'jazz library' on my beautiful radio last night, (instead of crappy pc speakers) ....but needed to fit in jlu and louie jordan on listen again,..before they disappeared). what stupid decision making rules the day as far as radio listening goes, these days .. in part my own fault - but certainly not all!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
          apart from audience clapping as soon as the music dipped down a notch .....though appreciative..it annoyed me. i don't know if it's the digi sound of pc speakers, but the bass was nearly inaudible, and drums were great but barely heard. as soon as i could clearly hear them both, as the rhythm section, the clapping started

i need new speakers.
          You may, but Dave Whitford's bass was way, way down too low in the mix. I asked Dave the following night if he had listened to the b/cast. He hadn't, so I was able to forewarn him the bad news.

Listen to some other stuff before deciding on new speakers would be my advice.

Comment

Working...
          X