• Dec 2010

This cheered me up no end.....

Some 70's fusion that is actually tremendously up-lifting:-

https:///http://www.youtube.com/watc...eature=related
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I think you typed the link wrongly, Ian. Is this what you meant? :

Jim Pepper Witchitai-to from the 1971 Embryo records release Pepper's Pow Wow

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A very interesting track - thanks for it.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

That's a real blast from the past for me
        I have a 12" single of this that I seem to remember buying on spec for 50p (or something like it ) from Probe records in Liverpool in the early 1980's when the sales assistant was a rather odd looking Pete Burns

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

Witchitai-to (cf: a peyote chant) by Jim Pepper.

His spirit still resounds whenever you hear this tune...

Whether by Jan Garborek (at his best)

and Oregon's (yes! Oregon! - of whom I walked out on a concert because they were too laid back)

soulrending [SACD] recording in St. Peter's (Episcopal) Church, NYC.
          Last edited by charles t; 28-09-11, 16:41.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

asked a question....but remember answer....
            Last edited by eighthobstruction; 29-09-11, 21:12.
            bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

i've always harboured a deep suspicion that you were a closet hippie Ian!
              be careful you could be a Grateful Dead Geek in seconds .... and there is no escape!

great track, anthemic, i am uplifted

this video always does it for me [and no not a train spotter] but images and music geve me the feeling of freedom that being on the move can offer
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Calum

Always lived this Metheny tune which i believe was composed in one sitting. Amazing how many standards seem to e=be composed so instantaneously. The music appears to actually be quite simple and the harmonies are littered with major chords in a fashion that is normally considered corny in most Modern Jazz or atleast until someone like Wayne Shorter started employing them in non-traditional sequences. "Last train home" actually used the harmony more in the fashion of Country Music and my piano teacher used to describe this tune as a Cowboy song. However, the tune really works due to the symbol pattern which provides a platform for the solo's. Incidentally, the music isn't all that orthodox. I have the lead sheet and the tune actually has a 34-bar structure as opposed to the usual 32. The last six bars (the turn around at the end of the melody) is wierd and consists of a mutlitude of inversions on the major tonic (B flat major) slthough the final chord is actually a F mag 7 / g.

Metheny is something of a genious at composition. The tunes are extremely appealing but the musical intelligence behind the music is often extremely advanced with non - standard chord changes, extensive use of inversions, combinations of meters and some pretty interesting forms too. The "Pat Metheny Songbook" is extremely difficult and most of the tunes are beyond me. They also rely very much on arrangements as opposed to head-solo-head structures or alternatively are assembled in a fashion where the arrnagement is integral with the tune. There isn't much in this book that you can use as a blowing vehicle and even the 12-bars blues are difficult. The tune that always blows me away is this one and one of the tunes that I rehearse with my friends. Definate echoes of Coltrane in this theme:-

Comment

Working...
                X