X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byas'd Opinion
    • Sep 2024

John Coltrane, born 23 September 1926

If he hadn’t knackered his liver through drink and drug abuse in his younger days, it’s quite possible that John Coltrane would be celebrating his 85th birthday today. Indeed, he could still be playing: Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins are only a few years younger and remain active.

I asked JRR to play something to mark the occasion, and they will be tomorrow. The particular track (an earlyish one with Red Garland) isn't my choice, though.

Anyone got any recommendations among the really late stuff (with Pharoah Sanders and/or Alice Coltrane). I love the late "classic" quartet albums like Sun Ship, but I've never made much headway with the stuff that came after that.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

How's about "Seraphic Light" from "Stellar Regions" - one of Trane's last ever recordings? Lasts about 8.58 mins and includes a nice solo from the missus:

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Byas'd Opinion View Post
        I
        Anyone got any recommendations among the really late stuff (with Pharoah Sanders and/or Alice Coltrane). I love the late "classic" quartet albums like Sun Ship, but I've never made much headway with the stuff that came after that.
        In a way, I think the duet work with Rashied Ali on Interstellar Space is a good way in to the very late stuff. Venus is generally thought the most accessible track:

Comment

Working...
        X