• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jon3 19.ix.11 Golden Xplosion

This is the week that a new European star hits the airwaves. His 2011 album and recent UK tour have been earning 4- and 5-star reviews and we've got a gig from that tour to share with you tonight.

Norwegian saxophonist Marius Neset and his Golden Xplosion quartet tore up the Pizza Express stage earlier this month. It's a gig full of boundless energy – in the playing as much as in the torrent of compositional ideas Neset weaves together. Neset's tenor sax is red-blooded, and his pattern-building intros in both sets are extraordinary – no loop pedals involved! His rapport with the engine room of bassist Jasper Høiby and drummer Anton Eger (two-thirds of Phronesis) makes for compelling listening, drawing on 80s fusion, funk and break-beats. And the music's so good they can even get away with some heavy-duty synths in places, courtesy of keys player Nick Ramm.

We get more of an idea of Neset's musical influences in the interval, as we give him the 'MP3 shuffle' treatment to discover some of the music he carries around with him. Marius also provides a bit of insight into one of the highlights of the second set – a cutlery-inspired moment that sums up the dazzling spontaneity and sheer musical force of this band.

...from jon3 newsletter ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Must have been one of your emusic monthly choices next to mine, Jazbo!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

not yet chas ... see how it sounds tonight!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Excellent programme, 1 or 2 misgivings apart (see brackets below), excellent saxophonist, excellent band. Interesting materials, complex time signatures with unusual rhythmic and harmonic patterns to match, handled adroitly by guys sufficiently at home to be able to take risks while all the time interacting in challenging ways for the listener, always on edge within the structures. I have been long impressed with keyboardsman Nick Ramm, whol reminds me more of Peter Saberton than Django Bates, being less proliferate with notes (in one sense a good thing) but always choosy in the best sense. I particularly liked his unaccompanied intro to one ballad. Neset said interesting things in the midway interview, though I found it hard relating his examples to his own work, (Queen, anyone - and why did Jizz have to rush him: height of discourtesy ); he has a great tone on the tenor, whether sweet 'n' tangy on ballads or rough-edged on the faster numbers - arguably less impressive on sop; I am sure he will go far - but the same can be said of many young 'uns here who are equally as good, as I keep saying like a cracked record.

S-A

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

good first set and yep let's hear more local young 'uns S_A! ...still on iplayer ...

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Serialist...Jazbo: Two UK saxophonists that quickly pop into me mind, of whom I would buy anything new they release...blindly -

no - what's auditory metaphor?

'Silently?' Doesn't seem right...

James Allsopp

Tom Challenger

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
              Serialist...Jazbo: Two UK saxophonists that quickly pop into me mind, of whom I would buy anything new they release...blindly -

no - what's auditory metaphor?

'Silently?' Doesn't seem right...

James Allsopp

Tom Challenger
              Deftly

Agree totally about Messrs Allsopp and Challenger Charles. Great to know our young 'uns are getting a hearing where you are.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

whereof you speak ...

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Tonight's listening is going to be guitarist Mark McKnight's new album, "Do or Die". It's by an organ quartet featuring Seamus Blake on tenor, Ross Stanley on organ and James Maddren on drums.

I saw them in Glasgow last night and thought they were outstanding. They're a few days into a tour of the UK and Ireland (http://www.markmcknight.co.uk/schedule/). If any of the remaining dozen or so gigs are near you, I thoroughly recommend going. They're in Leeds tonight.

Here's the title track, recorded at last year's Cork Festival

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Calum & Byas'd - thanks for the tracks. I once told Tom Challenger I though he sounded like an unlikely cross between Stan Getz and Sam Rivers, and I think people might see why from here. James Maddren, the common factor in all 3 groups if I'm not mistaken, really impresses whenever I see him. Dammit I shall miss McKnight as I have non-jazzers staying when he appears in Lunnun. Next time eh! Btw was anyone else reminded of Eberhard Weber's Colours in the tune from the clip with Allsopp?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

ta byas'd will catch them in peterborough at the end of this month!

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Serialist: I was fortunate to hear Eberhard Weber's Colours here in L.A. - but - no recollection of same while auditing Aquarium/Allsopp.

Which necessitated a follow-up order with TheRiver.uk - as only 4 copies are available of their Babel CD.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

chas has it occurred to you that there is a global economic crisis and we are "staring down the barrel"? ... what is more pesky neutrinos are going faster than the speed of light, sarah palin is divorcing and a bl**dy big satellite is crashing to earth tomorrow night we know not where, and you are ordering CDs by this internet credit machine thingy .... what courage my friend .... you must know something that Nostrodamus failed to spot!

... and how is the weather in California? we are in deep greys here ....

Comment

Working...
                          X