• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

JLU 28.viii.11 Joshua Redman featured

another one for me, i love Joshua Redman

Joshua Redman, one could argue, has formed a super group of pianist Aaron Parks, bassist Matt Penman and drummer Eric Harland. His new album is a wonderful mix of their musical influences. "James Farm is where we pool our collective knowledge, let run the best of our ideas arising from our varied musical influences" says Redman. "We are a band where we can be creative composers and improvisers, in step with the rhythm of the times, constantly evolving" says bassist Penman. And these musicians take full advantage of their musical freedom on this album.
    This is a collection of tunes that are full of style and ideas and Joshua talked freely on Jazz Line-Up about its impact upon the jazz scene.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Joshua's a good player, maybe more musically consistent but just not as interesting as his dad imv. Funny old world eh?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

The first time I saw Joshua Redman was when he toured with the quartet with Aaron Golberg . As a live gig, it was ok but the CD they toured ("Beyond") was extremely boring. I hardly ever played it and the disc left me with a hugely negative perception of his music. It was not helped by a review I read which once described him as making the sound of the tenor in the Berklee practice room The fashionable sound on his horn. Associations with Melhdau and (from recollection) an under-whelming gig I saw with the guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel served to make me even less enthusiastic. I've tended to avoid his records ever since as they sound so bland. I am not very enthusiastic for some of these player who emerged in the mid 90's. Until about 2 years ago, Redman always seemed like the ultimate "plastic jazz musician" to me and I would have fully have concurred with SA's comments - in fact, I would have probably been even more negative.

Having said that, I caught his trio play in Vienne and Basingstoke (compare and contrast) and was amazed how much he had evolved as a player. During the seond gig I sat at the front and the impression was even more favourable. It was pretty much in the same kind of vein as Sonny Rollin's endeavours in this area but with a more contemporary approach to harmony and time. Both gigs were exceptional and totally compelling. Both gigs had me totally absorbed and served to turn around my perception of this player. He also seemed to be approaching the same kind of area explored by Wayne Shorter's recent quartet. I would also point out that Joshua was taken the music more "outside" with this trio albeit a totally different approach from his father who, to my ears, has a lot of the old 1930's style within his playing that seemed to accentuate how convincing he was with the likes of Ornette and Jarrett. The new quartet with Aaron Parks is not one I've looked out for. The most interesting musician in the "James Farm" band is the drummer. Doesn't really appeal having heard Aaron Parks live and not really liking his kind of jazz. Don't know what Park's own discs are like.

For the last few months I've really been enjoying the work of Walter smith III both on his latest CD and the Blue Note debut of Ambrose Akinmusire. The latter disc is actually more restrained and reflective but Smith is extremely exciting and, as he matures, I would see him offering a major challenge to Redman. Smith's solos grab you immediately in a way that contrasts with Redman who I feel you have to listen to attentively is you want to fully appreciate. I've also be impressed by J D Allen too. The likes of Akinmusire and Smith are definately giving the music a kick up the backside.

Comment

• Tom Audustus

His live album, "Spirit of the Moment" is particularly good. I was listening to it on my iPod on the train only last week.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

His live album, "Spirit of the Moment" is particularly good
          ain't it tho

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
          X