• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Dig that Spirited Synergism!

Sat 10 Dec
    5pm - J to Z

Jumoké Fashola with new and classic jazz. Plus guests, today with US jazz vocalist Gretchen Parlato sharing some of the music that has inspired her. Plus more highlights from this year's Out Here Festival, held in August in Cambridgeshire.

Jazz singer Gretchen Parlato shares her inspirations. Plus live music from Jasmine Myra.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba previews a previously unreleased live recording of a 1989 performance by soprano saxophonist Paul Dunmall and drummer Tony Orrell with double bassist Paul Rogers.

People will remember Tim Richards' Spirit Level in the early 1980s as first introducing Paul Dunmall and Tony Orrell to jazz audiences; Paul Rogers would work with Dunmall in Mujician, alongside Tony Levin and Keith Tippett; so this particular distillation should be a must for discerning aficionados!

Corey Mwamba shines a light on the world of free jazz and improvised music.

Sun 11 Dec
    4.30pm - Jazz Record Requests

The second in the 4-part series The Truth about Jazz (BBC4 - Fri 16 Dec, 11am) subtitled Jazz Diplomacy, deals with Mingus's recording of Fables of Faubus and the circumstances surrounding it.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Tim Richards/Spirit Level, Marseille 1991, this edition with Jerry Underwood RIP, "New Year". I thought they were exceptional at the time, a lot better than much else that was going on and more critically appraised...

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

I don't know where this spurious 4.30 start time for JRR is coming from. Here's the Radio 3 schedule for Sunday - we're at 4 as usual. https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl8t/2022/12/11

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        I don't know where this spurious 4.30 start time for JRR is coming from. Here's the Radio 3 schedule for Sunday - we're at 4 as usual. https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl8t/2022/12/11
        Ok - having checked it's again what is billed. I shan't be going by Radio Times schedules from now on.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Radio Times ought to be correct from now on...

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Listening to the Dunmall track now.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Listening to the Dunmall track now.
              Yes, spectacular playing from all involved - I could have done with a lot more from that set.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Yes, spectacular playing from all involved - I could have done with a lot more from that set.
                Agreed.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Just noticed, three jazz programmes on Sky Arts tonight(14 Dec): Hitler's Jazz Band(9pm); Charlie Watts Jazz Orchestra(10pm) & Chasing Trane(11.20pm).

JR

Comment

Working...
                  X