• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Ross, on why.

Sat 15 Oct
    5pm - J to Z

Jumoké Fashola with highlights of a concert by New Orleans trumpeter and composer Chief Xian a Tunde Adjuah (formerly Christian Scott), recorded in New York City. Plus an interview. And Brooklyn-based vibraphonist Joel Ross shares inspirations, including a Miles Davis recording of On Green Dolphin Street.

Live music from Chief Xian aTunde Adjuah (Christian Scott). Plus Joel Ross’ inspirations.

BBC World Music
    7pm - The Truth about Jazz

Clive Myrie's portfolio extends ever further, but nothing this supreme all-rounder has done is closer to his heart than a project in which, over four episodes, he presents a history of jazz from the highly pertinent angle of its protest, political and diplomatic aspects, taking the story from its 19th-century origins right up to the present day. In New Orleans, Myrie visits the home of Buddy Bolden (1877-1931), a key figure in the development of ragtime, the genre of music that evolved into jazz. Nothing in all jazz history carries more political charge than Billie Holiday's 1939 recording of Strange Fruit, and the story of its genesis - which Myrie hears from Robert Meerpol, the adopted son of the writer of the poem on which the song is based - is fascinating and surprising. SIMON O'HAGAN.

DAB bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba with an adventurous playlist, today marking the vinyl release of Pat Thomas's 1997 album New Jazz Jungle: Remembering.

That's a very interesting record. Other good stuff reviewed too, including an Alvin Curran release.

Corey Mwamba shares a new take on jungle and a selection of energetic improvised music.

Sun 16 Oct
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton presents jazz records of all styles as requested by you.
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

You were right, Bluesnik...it's "Misty" from Grooooove Holmes on JRR.

Must get 'round to making a request.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

A return to excellence on J to Z today, I thought. Chief Xian was most impressive in his intro to African roots and his own interpretation; Joel Ross too - I hadn't heard that Monk version of "Bright Blue" before - though one might have liked to have heard his own vibes playing!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

I notice on Alyn’s JRR list Richard Groove Holmes - l think as a monica for an organ player it is 2nd only to E Power Biggs!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          I notice on Alyn’s JRR list Richard Groove Holmes - l think as a monica for an organ player it is 2nd only to E Power Biggs!
          That was a long time ago. Since when, Biggs has switched to N-Power!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Would that be moniker?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Would that be moniker?
              Probably so but maybe we all need a ‘a little bit of Monica in my life’. Then there’s always Pedannts’ Paradise!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Probably so but maybe we all need a ‘a little bit of Monica in my life’. Then there’s always Pedannts’ Paradise!
                The supreme Monica. Monica Vitti in "L'eclisse" 1962. With lucky Alain Delon. Dir:Antonioni, his "La Notte", also with Monica has a fine Italian jazz soundtrack...http://youtu.be/zJRzodLDPA8

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

There's the one about the tiny rodent who went into a music shop and asked for a mouse organ. "Who's that?" the salesman asked. "Oh, that would be our Monica" replied her brother.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    There's the one about the tiny rodent who went into a music shop and asked for a mouse organ. "Who's that?" the salesman asked. "Oh, that would be our Monica" replied her brother.

Comment

Working...
                    X