X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Ramsey Lewis (*1935 +2022) RIP

Saw the other day on the Twitter that Ramsey Lewis has died. A bit surprised nobody has mentioned it here.

NP: "Sun Goddess" with Earth, Wind & Fire. (Maurice White was once the drummer in his trio.)
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Oddly enough, Ramsey Lewis' passing was mentioned in a thread on a football -related messageboard. I saw him perform live abut ten years ago but, I would have to admit, I cannot recall hearing his music on the radio. The concert was ok although I cannot recall too much about it. He used to present a programme on JazzFM and I felt that he had a knowledge and respect for a wide range of the music.

I suppose he was similar in approach to groups like "The Three Sounds" in trying to find popularity with the piano trio format and maybe an antecident for the kind of pianists who were dominating jazz in the 2000s / 2010's.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

He was big with the mod crowd of my 60s generation (excuse). Wade in the Water, The In Crowd etc. He also played in one of Max Roach's 50s groups with Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley, so must have been able.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        He was big with the mod crowd of my 60s generation (excuse). Wade in the Water, The In Crowd etc. He also played in one of Max Roach's 50s groups with Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley, so must have been able.
        Surprised that Ramsey Lewis once played with Max Roach. He sounds pretty good to me on 'Four-X' with Hank Mobley, Kenny Dorham & George Morrow in 1958:

Provided to YouTube by EG JazzFour-X · Max Roach · Max RoachMax Roach plays Max Roachâ„— EG JazzReleased on: 2018-05-28Auto-generated by YouTube.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Yep, he was really OK as Max worked through the pianists! Those post Clifford Roach quintet dates with Dorham etc (Emarcy, Mercury, Cadet?) are hugely neglected, there's some wonderful stuff amongst them.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Indeed a good addition to the great musical mix of the mid sixties when there was a bit of everything in the charts - great times! RIP Ramsey.

Comment

Working...
            X