X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Trevor Tomkins R.I.P (1941-2022)

Just learned of this very sad news from Nikki Iles and Clark Tracey on another site.

Unassuming, quietly-spoken and, as Nikki and Clark say, adaptable right across the stylistic spectrum, always professional yet seriously under-rated, Trevor was featured drummer on many of my favourite British recordings, and was a major figure in education. My guess would be that he is probably best known for his work with Rendell-Carr in the 1960s.

Trevor Tomkins at Herts Jazz, 2016. Photo credit: Melody McLaren We are sad to hear of the passing of drummer Trevor Tomkins at the age of 81. In recent years he has been an inspiring, enlivening t…

The link at the bottom of this short item gives an idea of the huge scope of Trevor's contribution.
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

I met him at jazz workshops in the old West London Institute of Higher Education in the '80s. He was a fine drummer and a lovely bloke too. RIP Trev.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I really liked Trevor Tompkins when I went to Wavendon around 1991. It was a curious bunch of lecturers who all had different approaches to teaching and I recall him being amongst the most straight-forward. Simon Purcell was the pick of the bunch, though. For a West Ham fan, he was a top bloke. I remember having a conversation with TT about cars (not rrally my thing but he was impressed by the car that I was driving at the time) and then the conversation chnaged to his favourable pereption of a then current Tommy Flanegan album. I forget the name of the bass player who was also at Wavendon and seemed to be very much in cahoots with TT,

Comment

Working...
      X