Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

I think Kenton's music always appeals to a particular kind of fan. I've never really appreciated his approach and can't stand his clunky, non-jazz piano playing. Someone once described his orchestra as a Modern Jazz version of Paul Whiteman although obviously at a far higher decibel level! I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Ferde Goffe's work written for Whiteman has enjoyed a Proms outing in the past and am sure that "Rhapsody in blue" much get performed regularly. Didn't realise that there were any people still alive to be fans of Kenton's music!!

Whilst I enjoy Mingus' music, he would be a curious selection for a Prom as I think much of the arranged material was rehearsed and learned by rote as opposed to being actually written down. Would this preclude if from being performed at a Prom? I think Sy Johnson actually produced my of the charts for Mingus' larger works whereas the current big band (which would clearly tear up the Albert Hall as they are simply one of the best live gigs going) play charts by the likes of Michael Mossman.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      A few years ago, Kenny Wheeler was granted joint billing in a COTW on himself, Gil Evans and... Mingus, was it? Ian Carr did the presentation. I cannot think of a more worthy figurehead of jazz in this country than Kenny to be given a Prom: it would also be a wonderful opportunity to offer a window onto the many and great musicians who have worked with him on his projects over the past near half century.
      That was as far back as 1996...with Gil Evans and the Duke.
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• charles t
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        There is one Kenton track, which I recorded off a Jazz Record Requests programme many years ago and always find very beautiful and haunting. I have no date or personnel for it, though it sounds very 1967-ish. It is called "Quintile".

EDIT: Just Googled - it is on "Adventures in Time" (1962)

S-A
        Serialist: You just nailed my all-time Kenton LP with writing by jazz's-Mahler: Johnny Richards.

Everytime I hear the tracks: Artemis...Artemis And Apollo...there are nO wORds.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

It can be downloaded for the princely sum of $0.09

legalsounds.com is your first and best source for information about legalsounds. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Trouble is, I don't have any US cents. But the sample was pretty good.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
            That was as far back as 1996...with Gil Evans and the Duke.
            Thanks TF. I am definitely knocking on...

Comment

Working...
            X