• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Oliver Nelson JL 20.viii.11 1630

this is a bloody cheek, remember you are knocking JL into the graveyard slot WOGER!

..that said the programme features the work of Oliver Nelson, creator of one of the most beautiful ever pieces of jazz music

Alyn is joined by Guy Barker who no doubt appreciates the arranger's genius
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Calum

There is a lot more to Oliver Nelson's work than "Blues and the abstract truth" which , in many ways, is not really typical of his output. For me, the most interesting component of this record is Eric Dolphy's playing as it features a more outside soloist working within the contest of a more orthodox setting. This is something that I find really interesting.

Nelson's work seems to vacilate between being basic and earthy to demonstrating a degree of sophistication that is extremely surprising. I'm glad to see the Stanley Turrentine album "Joyride" featured as this is one of my favourite Blue Note records. The scores are all very much in the "soulful" bag and it is a record that is a pleasure to listen to. As a bonus, Herbie Hancock's piano playing is a lesson on how to comp. Although he may be "popularist", I really enjoy Turrentine's playing and Nelson assembled a set of charts which suit him to a tee.

The impulse album always stands out and alot of Nelson's other arrangements for the likes of Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith on Verve are exciting but tend to be pretty perfunctory. Verve issues a compilation disc of Nelson's music in the 1990's and some of the tracks almost tip over into Third Stream / Film Music territory and are not at all what you would expect from the more commercial output. The better tracks on this record are hugely impressive.

Curious to see the album with Leon Thomas and Johnny Hodges selected amonsgt some every unfamiliar and intriguing selections and it will be interesting to see what comments are made about this record. When I heard this record for the first time I was totally shocked as the altoist is performing in a drastically unfamiliar setting that is miles away from Duke Ellington and in a big band that features a guitarist who is clearly coming from a rock direction. This record is very much of it's era and might be what you call an acquired taste.

The Nancy Wilson track, of which I am unfamiliar, was recorded on the day I was born! Look forward to hearing the "Afrique" track with Basie's band as this has always been a record I have been anxious to here.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Oliver Nelson's excellent 1960 album with Eric Dolphy is always overlooked for some reason. I think it's on a par with 'Blues and the Abstract Truth':-
      Oliver Nelson - Screamin´ the BluesOliver Nelson: tenor and alto saxophones; Richard Williams: trumpet; Eric Dolphy: alto saxophone, bass clarinet; Richard W...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Good see Nelson's debut album with Kenny Dorham featured (when are we having a KD Library?), and the album with Jimmy Forest and King Curtis, which in no way "profound", is a lot of fun. The album with Lem Winchester on vibes? And the Impulse album with bits of JFKs speaches is effective and back out again not so long ago).

Salute Lord Nelson/Oliver's Army

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

the video misleads somewhat, it is the track Stolen moments that is the reference, much as i love the album ....

playlist

and yep Screamin the Blues is a great and favourite album ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

great programme and thanks to Guy Barker for wearing his arranger's hat and enthusiasm so nicely

er yep nelson was the sound of the 60s but he also shaped the 70s [for good or ill]

he also had a more serious side which could have been touched on

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

KENNY DORHAM'S SOLO on "What's New" faded out!

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME
              ... I was about to riot outside the BBC but the Feds gave me a jazz kicking.

"he also had a more serious side which could have been touched on"

AGREED... the programme was more reflective of Barker's current interests than Nelson's earlier work. There's the Afro Sketches, The JFK album, the Ellington tribute, and SCREAMIN' THE BLUES, which is what me and the revolutionary jazz hoodies are doing NOW about Kenny Dorham's execution.

BN.

BTW that Buddy Rich album ("Swinging Band")is bloody awful (50p in a charity shop - not worth looting). Theres' a version of Ray's "What D'I say" which is to be tazered/shot for.

Comment

Working...
              X