Coltrane - A Love Supreme, new discovery live in Seattle. Due for release...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Coltrane - A Love Supreme, new discovery live in Seattle. Due for release...

A LOVE SUPREME: LIVE IN SEATTLE
    SET FOR RELEASE OCTOBER 8, 2021

August 26, 2021 (New York, NY) – After nearly six decades, a private recording of a rare, nightclub performance by John Coltrane of his magnum opus, A Love Supreme, is set for commercial release. Recorded in late 1965 on the culminating evening of a historic week-long run at The Penthouse in Seattle, A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle is a musical revelation of historic importance, capturing Coltrane as he began to expand his classic quartet—adding Pharoah Sanders on second saxophone and Donald Garrett on second bass—and catapulting him into the intense, spiritually focused final phase of his career. Today, you can listen to A Love Supreme, Part IV – Psalm, watch the visualizer here https://JohnColtrane.lnk.to/ALSPIV. The full album A Love Supreme Live in Seattle is for release October 8, on Impulse! Records/UMe. Pre-order now: https://JohnColtrane.lnk.to/LiveInSeattlePR.

The significance of A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle is heightened by the fact that Coltrane seldom performed his four-part suite after originally recording it in the studio in 1964. Composed and created as a public declaration of his personal spiritual beliefs and universalist sentiment, it became a best-seller and received a GRAMMY nod the next year. For more than six decades, it seemed the only recorded public performance of A Love Supreme took place at a French festival at Juan-Les-Pains in July 1965 and was released almost twenty years ago. The tape reels containing this performance from October 1965 sat in the private collection of Seattle saxophonist and educator Joe Brazil, heard by a few fortunate musicians and friends—and largely unknown until now.

A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle is a fascinating and rare performance of the full suite, marked by a looser and more improvisational approach, and a overriding sense of communal participation—much like a Sunday church service; the lineup featured John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders on saxophones, McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on drums, and Jimmy Garrison and Donald (Rafael) Garrett on basses. Carlos Ward, then a young saxophonist just getting started on the scene, sat in as well.

As music historian Ashley Kahn puts it in the liner notes, A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle “offers the first evidence of the master of spiritual expression performing his signature work in the close confines of a jazz club…on October 2, 1965, a Saturday, in Seattle, the necessary elements were in alignment: music, players, venue, a spirit of connection, a certain political charge. Coltrane chose to perform it, and significantly, the moment was recorded.”

Kahn’s extensive liner notes tell the story of A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle not only through the words of the musicians themselves, but also through a number of witnesses whose lives were changed by Coltrane’s visit to Seattle in 1965 (his sole visit to the city as a leader), including Brazil, Ward, and bassist David Friesen, who states: “I’ve always pursued the spiritual aspect of the music and I still do. I remember sitting with Coltrane during one break that week and…what touched me was the way he treated other people. He showed mercy and kindness to people from what I could see around me for the week that I was there.”

The music on A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle was recorded with a two-microphone set-up onstage, connected to an Ampex reel-to-reel machine, and the only copies of the tapes were well cared for, yielding a remarkably clear and distortion-free recording. “What’s remarkable is that tapes from this era often suffer over the years from heat or moisture damage, or simply being stacked horizontally,” writes engineer Kevin Reeves who produced this release. “However, these tapes are in excellent condition… and the results are among the best amateur recordings of John Coltrane we’ve had the pleasure to work on.”

It keeps on coming...
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Incredible news, BN. Can't wait for October 8!

John Coltrane rarely performed the music from A Love Supreme after its release at the end of 1964 – meaning even the most ardent Coltrane-ologists have been unaware of the existence of these tapes.

JR
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 28-08-21, 10:53.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

Very much looking forward to this for all the reasons above.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Rough Trade are listing the CD at £11.99, the two LP vinyl set at £34.99. Released 8 October. Although I'm usually sceptical about some "great find" hype, this does indeed look significant & worthy. Up there with the Monk/Trane Carnegie set from a while back. I will part with money!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

There’ll be a track on JRR on 19 Sep

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

This is exciting news. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

Yes it's great news.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                It's Coltrane's birthday on September 23, so appropriate. "Giant Candles" plus.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                  Yes, the track Psalm is available as a download (0.99p!), but nowt else.

Made a slight boo-boo in downloading "Live in Seattle" ( NOT Live in Seattle: A love Supreme), which has a number of interesting tracks, but only Psalm (again) from A Love Supreme.

Currently listening to Out of this World:: My cup of tea; I'm glad I made the purchase.

I've always felt that addition of further horns to the Quartet was counter-productive; this album may be confirming that.
                  Last edited by Quarky; 20-09-21, 09:59.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    It's Coltrane's birthday on September 23, so appropriate. "Giant Candles" plus.
                    John Coltrane and Norma Winstone both have their birthdays on September 23!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                      Yes, the track Psalm is available as a download (0.99p!), but nowt else.

Made a slight boo-boo in downloading "Live in Seattle" ( NOT Live in Seattle: A love Supreme), which has a number of interesting tracks, but only Psalm (again) from A Love Supreme.

Currently listening to Out of this World:: My cup of tea; I'm glad I made the purchase.

I've always felt that addition of further horns to the Quartet was counter-productive; this album may be confirming that.
                      Well they did amount to Coltrane's sanctioning of those extras, giving a boost to their still-young reputations.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

I picked my copy up from HMV a few hours ago. First thoughts: it's a real shame the drums are too loud, I can't hear Coltrane as clearly as I'd like.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          I picked my copy up from HMV a few hours ago. First thoughts: it's a real shame the drums are too loud, I can't hear Coltrane as clearly as I'd like.
                          Hmm........ Good to see you back, however, Joseph K!

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Hmm........ Good to see you back, however, Joseph K!
                            Thanks. Just getting round to listening to 'Resolution'. The drums are still too loud for the most part, but Coltrane of course sounds amazing - as you might expect, think of his playing on Sun Ship or Meditations.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Thanks for reminder Joseph. I've just downloaded my copy and am listening intently.

Comment

Working...
                              X