X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katzelmacher
    • Jan 2021

Charlie Watts (1941-2021)

The music world pays tribute to "one of the greatest drummers of his generation".
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Very sad news. Charlie was always the gentleman of The Stones and gave the band a moral compass during the years of excess.

RIP, Charlie. Thanks for the music.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Charlie Watts RIP...

Charlie Watts Quintet - "Relaxing at Camarillo"

He always seemed the most genuine and effacing of them. And certainly the coolest.

RIP.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        Charlie Watts Quintet - "Relaxing at Camarillo"

He always seemed the most genuine and effacing of them. And certainly the coolest.

RIP.
        Sad to see him go, BR. I saw the Stones four years ago or so, and though he was looking a bit like Corporal Jones from Dad's Army, he was sounding as cool as ever. R.I.P. Charlie.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Sad to see him go, BR. I saw the Stones four years ago or so, and though he was looking a bit like Corporal Jones from Dad's Army, he was sounding as cool as ever. R.I.P. Charlie.
          My "claim to fame" (only) is that I saw the early Stones in March 1963 at the Old Ken Colyer club in Soho (Studio 51), to an audience of about 40 on a Sunday afternoon. Ray Charles was on his first UK tour and playing that night at Hammersmith, hence I was in London for that. I do just about remember Charlie, and Mick in a corduroy jacket and Keef sitting on his amp looking dazed. They were "quite good"!

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

The only time I saw Charlie Watts was in the audience at an Ornette Coleman Trio concert at The Dome, Brighton in 1966. He certainly was the coolest Stone and very sad to see him go.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

I think he said somewhere that one (the?) of his favourite jazz drummers was Frank Butler. And his influence as a drummer with the Stones was Freddie Below (Chess, Little Walter, the Aces etc etc). And Below himself had been a Chicago jazz drummer). So, he, CW, certainly had taste.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Charlie Watts obituary in The Guardian:

Dapper and elegant drummer who was the rock-steady heartbeat of the Rolling Stones

JR

Comment

• muzzer
                  • Nov 2013

This has saddened me because he was clearly such a gent, in a world of the anything but. I’ve never seen the Stones, nor really had the wish to, but I saw Charlie Watts hopping into a cab on Piccadilly outside Fortnums a few years ago. In a sharp three piece suit looking the dapper stuff of legend, and utterly unassuming. Rest in peace.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Definitely one of the good guys in an industry that at times is heartless. A homeloving guy who went on the road to ply his trade and do it well. So modest yet so good. His drumming particularly in the Stones’ blusier songs was outstanding. RIP Charlie.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Definitely one of the good guys in an industry that at times is heartless. A homeloving guy who went on the road to ply his trade and do it well. So modest yet so good. His drumming particularly in the Stones’ blusier songs was outstanding. RIP Charlie.
                      Just been listening to Charlie on Desert Island Discs, cloughie, and that comes across. He's great to listen to, if you can put up with Sue. I liked the idea that he always drew beds that he slept in - in 2001 he had 15 books full of them.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Charlie Watts was the hero of me and my pals in the Fourth Year. The first Stones album was my first LP purchase. Still have - unplayable through wear and party-going. Thanks and RIP.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          This has saddened me because he was clearly such a gent, in a world of the anything but. I’ve never seen the Stones, nor really had the wish to, but I saw Charlie Watts hopping into a cab on Piccadilly outside Fortnums a few years ago. In a sharp three piece suit looking the dapper stuff of legend, and utterly unassuming. Rest in peace.

Very sad to hear the news last night. One of the highlights of my legal career was meeting and working briefly with him (& being complimented by him on my suiting - this was the late ‘80s and I had an extremely wide pin-stripe ) - unfailingly down-to-earth, humorous, self-deprecating…. “Gent” is the word.

And a Radio 3 listener!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Very sad to hear the news last night. One of the highlights of my legal career was meeting and working briefly with him (& being complimented by him on my suiting - this was the late ‘80s and I had an extremely wide pin-stripe ) - unfailingly down-to-earth, humorous, self-deprecating…. “Gent” is the word.

And a Radio 3 listener!

I used to like a chalk stripe but pin stripes are more for Counsel imho

I wonder if JRR will mark his passing.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                              I used to like a chalk stripe but pin stripes are more for Counsel imho

I’d forgotten the phrase “chalk stripe”… I think that’s what mine was
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X