• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

JLU 14.viii.11 Mulatu Astatke

Ethiopian jazz legend Mulatu Astatke recorded at this year's Glasgow Jazz Festival. Mulatu Astatke, commonly referred to as 'the father of Ethiopian jazz', has performed with Duke Ellington, Mahmoud Ahmed, the Heliocentrics and his music has featured in cult film maker Jim Jarmusch's movie 'Broken Flowers'.

tonight's concert set features contributions from a host of players from the UK's vibrant jazz scene including trumpeter Byron Wallen and drummer Tom Skinner. Recorded at the Platform Arts Centre in Easterhouse as part of this year's Glasgow Jazz Festival in front of a packed home feature brand new compostions alongside his classic tracks from the 60's and 70's.

Julian Joseph presents Ethiopian jazz great Mulatu Astatke at the Glasgow Jazz Festival.
    much enjoyed his recent albums ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    much enjoyed his recent albums ...
    Thanks Calum, I'll definitely be having a listen to him - what a great artist.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I wasn't at the gig, despite it being part of the Glasgow Jazz Festival - it clashed with Dennis Rollins and Terence Blanchard concerts - but here's a review by someone who was: http://euphbass.livejournal.com/37909.html

Oh, and a while ago I promised to let you know what I thought of Terence Blanchard. Excellent trumpeter, with a very good band (particularly tenor player Brice Winston), but not doing anything new. Warren Vaché was playing elsewhere in the Festival at the same time, and I think he and Blanchard do much the same thing: keeping existing styles alive and making some fine music in the process, but not innovating in any way.
      Glasgow Jazz Festival 2011 Old Fruitmarket, Thursday 30th June Warren Vaché was playing elsewhere in the City Halls at much the same time, and there’s more similarity between the two m…

The latest headlines and breaking news from Scotland and beyond in The Herald - the longest running national newspaper in the world.

I greatly enjoyed Dennis Rollins' Velocity Trio: definitely a band to go and hear if they're on in your area.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

thanks for the links and comment byas'd
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

the review inyour link was on the nail Byas'd ... fun but a tad repetitive whole programme was pretty beefy though ... appreciated the LeGendre feature on the Mark Turner album

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I don't know how the various bits of the Beeb have divvied up the tapes, but Radio Scotland's The Jazz House is also broadcasting excerpts from the Mulatu Astatke Glasgow concert tonight.

Repeated on Sunday at 8pm, or available on the iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0139468

Comment

Working...
            X