JL 13.viii.11 NHOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byas'd Opinion

I hadn't realised that NHOP played on Albert Ayler's first album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkp4hMP2ho0

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
      > (see BACH motif, and Schoenberg hexachord "EsCHBEG", - <

late 6os,

Niels, Henning, Orsted, Pedersen, Sonny, Rollins, Kenny, Drew, Four, Denmark, 1968

> The following 9 movements of the suite represent the colours Mikkelborg sees in Miles's aura.<

how very 70s!

nhop orchestral composition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzwlXN2Mz8Y
      Thanks for all these links, handsomefortune!

I shall go through them tomorrow - having been involved in a bit of a spat on one of the other threads for most of the day.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Didn't get to talk to NHOP about a lot of this in the interview...thanks for all the pointers. A personal favourite not mentioned above is his Montmartre work with Tete Montoliu. Not the best example, but try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6HjPXlzM7g

Comment

• handsomefortune

it was good to hear it from nhop himself.

on 'jazz library', nhop's personal anecdotes of avoiding both 'the count' and simultaneously subscription to the vietnam war, and life with the escapees from the US jazz scene, were both a real high point of the programme. it gave his long career a new context.

it was fascinating to see different eras through nhop's eyes. not least, his memories of working with 'the US escapees' in europe. ideally, there should be a programme about post war european jazz scene to follow, preferably with some more first hand accounts?

incredible that nhop played with albert ayler ....and doubtless countless other suprises.

the only musical style that nhop may have struggled with on bass might have been dub?

lots of scope for confusion, when 'orsted pederson plays with oscar peterson', if you move away from the pc while listening....or are hard of hearing!

it occurs to me that nhop's name is long enough for two separate people, and perhaps his style can be summed up as an infinite carpet of bass? stretching to the moon and back. so many notes.... a sort of grand facilitator, and in (nearly) any style. yet he can perform solo too. though i'm not sure about his point about the importance of 'personality over music' comment ... it's pretty contentious imo.

(has d byas been the subject of 'jl' at all? evidently, don byas was also a US escapee to europe, along with the bunch of musicians' names nhop mentioned so respectfully. he took great care to point out that they were 'not flashy americans'... so full points imo ).

corrections (from my post upthread):
          ? > what a night at 'the village gate' < !!!!

where?

i meant 'vanguard' .... sorry.

and further corrections: don byas is speaking english, french, and german ... in the film docu link, upthread.

having read the d byas wiki link, no wonder don's arrival was such an event in the US.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
            ideally, there should be a programme about post war european jazz scene to follow, preferably with some more first hand accounts?
            What an excellent suggestion! There have been interviews mainly with European jazzers telling of working with Americans from the 50s on. The one I would love to hear - IF it exists! - would be the one with Steve Lacy.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

I would love to hear a programme (better yet a series) on the post-war European jazz scene. It must have been absolutely fascinating to see those expat Americans and the top-notch Europeans grappling with a new way of expression, night after night on gigs in places such as Viersen or Hilversum. The shadow of Vietnam must have been a long one, and I've always wondered how black Americans were able to obtain working visas to live in France, Scandinavia, Germany, Austria etc. Also I'd like to hear stories of Philly Joe Jones and Paul Gonsalves in London (which I understand wasn't exactly the first port of call for the expats when they decided to live in Europe).
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                • Nov 2010

Can't promise a series on Europe but in October there'll be programmes on Barney Wilen and (prior to LJF) Michel Portal. When we move (week after next) to the new slot, we only have the possibility of making two new programmes a month as other shows will be repeats in what was previously our repeat slot. So the opportunity to respond to the many suggestions on here for extra shows will be somewhat limited. But I agree Don Byas, Philly Joe and Gonsalves among others would be good ideas.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...cut back as well as graveyarded eh ....
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• handsomefortune

> The one I would love to hear - IF it exists! - would be the one with Steve Lacy. >

....and steve lacy - with the missus, and don cherry, and all sorts of extraordinary people.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

'first; steve lacy was an american, previously called steven norman lackritz, from ny.

'after', he was steve lacy, european experimentalist. a genuinely unique prolific performer, and life long creative. as was his wife.

IF it exists

bet stuff does serial apologist.

obviously it's whether we can access it or not, that is the issue.

irene aebi, 'mrs lacy', was/is a singer and cellist, but unfortunately she has no wiki link.

maybe, one day a utube interview/etc will surface of them both, along with a heap of other stuff.

but meanwhile, let's hope the beeb come up trumps.... (though fat chance by the looks, of late especially).

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                      • Nov 2010

I certainly never interviewed Steve - when he was here with Mal Waldron I interviewed Mal (went out as a Jazz Legends when I depped for Julian about 10 years ago). I also interviewed Roswell Rudd about Steve - don't think that's ever been broadcast except for a snippet on Impressions. They were good mates.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Barney Wilen !!!

AT LAST! REJOICE!

BN.

Comment

• handsomefortune

> AT LAST! REJOICE! <

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

perfick.

all 6 barney wilen docu segments playable, (unlike don byas documentary).

Comment

Working...
                          X