X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Curtis Fuller RIP

Just read on the Jazz Subreddit that the trombonist Curtis Fuller has died.

He put down some fine trombone lines on a large number of classic dates such as Blue Train and Schizophrenia, and he was a key member of the Messengers when they became a sextet in the early '60s.

RIP.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

He was also still very angry about a (later) command performance he did with the Basie band after which the ("non racist") Duke of Edinburgh made some crack about jungle music or such like. Interview in the out footage of the Baroness Nica movie.

He was a great player on loads of dates. I like the early things he did with Yusef Lateef for Savoy.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I was saddened to hear this as Curtis Fuller was one of my favourite trombonists. He was a mainstay of bands as diverse as Art Blakey. One of my favourite trombone solos is his on "Come rain or come shine" on Sonny Clark's "Sonny's Crib" but, to be honest, he was a musician I have always felt was extremely consistent. If you like, any recording session was always better for having him on board.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

A story . . .

. . . and a song.

Moment's NoticeAlbum:Blue Train (1957)Written by:John ColtranePersonnel:John Coltrane tenor saxophone Paul Chambers — double bass Kenny Drew — piano Curtis ...

Comment

Working...
          X