X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Freddie Redd RIP...

I did make reference elsewhere, but here's confirmation from the WBGO obit...
    "Freddie Redd, Pianist and Composer Known For 'The Connection,' Has Died at 92
    WBGO | By Nate Chinen
    Published March 17

Jazz pianist and composer Freddie Redd, who died on March 17 at 92.
    Freddie Redd, a pianist and composer who enjoyed an ascendant hard-bop career in the 1950s and early '60s, before slipping into semi-obscurity and a resurgence on various local scenes, died early Wednesday morning in New York City. He was 92.

His grandson Leslie Clarke announced his death on Facebook, without stating a cause.

Redd is best known, in and beyond the jazz community, for composing the score to The Connection, a Jack Gelber play produced Off Broadway in 1959. Later adapted for a film by Shirley Clarke, The Connection paints an unvarnished portrait of heroin addicts waiting for their next fix. Redd and alto saxophonist Jackie McLean appeared in the stage production and the film, as well as the soundtrack..."
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Freddie Redd - "The Thespian" from his Bluenote album "Shades of Redd" (1960) with Jackie & Tina Brooks.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Freddie Redd Quintet with Howard McGhee, Tina Brooks, Milt Hinton & Osie Johnson playing 'Who Killed Cock Robin' from 'The Connection' recorded on June 13, 1960:

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesWho Killed Cock Robin? · Freddie Redd & Howard McGhee Quintet(Music From) The Connection℗ 2013 Iris Properties,...

& the same title with Freddie Redd, Jackie McLean, Michael Mattos & Larry Ritchie recorded on February 15, 1960:

Song: Who Killed Cock Robin (1/7; written by Freddie Redd)Album: The Connection (February 15, 1960)Artist: Freddie ReddPersonnel:Freddie Redd, pianoJackie Mc...

JR
      Last edited by Jazzrook; 19-03-21, 13:53.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Thanks everyone - time to catch up on another one previously overlooked, by me.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Another version of 'The Connection' with Cecil Payne, Clark Terry, Benny Green, Duke Jordan, Ron Carter & Charli Persip playing Kenny Drew's 'Sister Carol' recorded in March, 1962:

Cecil Payne (bs) セシル・ペインClark Terry (tpt) クラーク・テリーBenny Green (tb) ベニー・グリーンDuke Jordan (p) デューク・ジョーダンRon Carter (b) ロン・カーターCharli Persip (d) チャーリ...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Freddie Redd with Don Sickler, Clarence "C" Sharpe, Clifford Jordan, Gerry Cappuccino, George Duvivier & Ben Riley playing 'Lonely City' in January, 1985:

Freddie Redd (piano; composer)Clarence "C" Sharpe (alto sax)Don Sickler (trumpet; arrangement)Clifford Jordan (tenor sax)Gerry Cappuccio (baritone saxophone)...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Here's a thing I would never have guessed! While passing through London, Freddie played organ on James Taylor's debut album on Apple. Cor blimey...
              Part personnel...
              Peter Asher – percussion (1), vocals (1,7,10), tambourine (7)
              Skaila Kanga – harp (4)
              Mick Wayne – guitar (7)
              Freddie Redd – organ (7)
              Paul McCartney – bass guitar (7)
              George Harrison – backing vocals (7) (uncredited)

I assume it's the same FR as the reference books claim so.

*Just listened to it , "Carolina on my mind", and I can't hear any distinct organ in amongst all the other dubbing. Maybe Freddie wasn't connected.
              Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 19-03-21, 19:04.

Comment

Working...
              X