• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Go for a Burton - Return to Forever

Sat 20 March
    5pm - J to Z

A special programme of recordings of live music to mark one year since the first UK lockdown. Also in the programme, Puerto Rican saxophonist and composer Miguel Zenón, who draws from Latin American folkloric music and jazz, shares music that inspires him. Zenón is also a celebrated educator, most notably for his Caravana Cultural project, which he founded in 2011 to present free-of-charge jazz concerts in rural areas of Puerto Rico.

Jumoké Fashola celebrates live music and Miguel Zenón shares tracks that inspire him.

12 midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba with the cream of new jazz and adventurous, improvised music, here featuring music by Leeds-based piano trio Treppenwitz, who recorded their third album Sister in Kith in a living room; simple melodies are used as a point of departure for explorations of sonic texture, harmonic sonority and spontaneous interaction. Plus further fluctuations in rhythm in the form of Lauren Sarah Hayes's electronic experimentation.

If you're at your witz end, why not try treppen?

Quickening and slackening, Treppenwitz explore the contours of their rhythmic interplay.

Sun 21 March
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton remembers the American pianist Chick Corea, who died last month, aged 79. Listeners' requests include recordings he made with vibraphonist Gary Burton, saxophonist Stan Getz and his own group Return to Forever.

Not jazz, but sympathisers might feel partial towards the following programme on Radio 3:

Tues 23 March
    10pm - Free Thinking
    Frantz Fanon's Black Skin, White Masks

Matthew Sweet re-reads Black Skin, White Masks, the 1952 book by Martinique psychiatrist Frantz Fanon (1925-61) that explores the way black people have been affected by colonial subjugation. He's joined by Tariq Ali and Alexandra Reza to assess the influence of Fanon's thinking.

Re-reading the major 20th century theorist of decolonisation

Zenón nearly rhymes with Fanon: how about that for "sympathetic resonance"? There is a further link in the write-up to another interview with Tariq Ali elsewhere.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Fanon is very good and still very relevant...in my not so 'umble opinion. I will tune in ...

Also see that next week's Composer of the week is Maurice "left hand" Ravel, who as us jazz aficionados know, played boogie woogie with Billy Fury in Paris and keys for many other rock and pop stars of the era. Including the Moody Blues.

BN
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 18-03-21, 14:56.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Fanon is very good and still very relevant...in my not so 'umble opinion. I will tune in ...

Also see that next week's Composer of the week is Maurice "left hand" Ravel, who as us jazz aficionados know, played boogie woogie with Billy Fury in Paris and keys for many other rock and pop stars of the era. Including the Moody Blues.

BN
      This was the English composer John Ireland talking to Murray Shafer about Ravel in 1963 in British Composers in Interview (Faber & Faber, , London, P 33):

I was once at a party with Ravel. I don't remember what we ate but I do recall having eaten exceptionally well. Afterwards Ravel went to the piano and played his Sonatine. I don't think I ever heard it played worse than on that occasion. There is something to be learned from that. Food, alcohol and music don't mix. Shafer: There is also an amusing story told about an encounter you had with George Gershwin. Ireland: I met Gershwin many years ago on one of his visits to this country. Almost as soon as we met he said, "I hear you've written a rrrhapsody. How many performances does it get a year" "Two or three", I replied. "I wrote a rrrhapsody that gets about ten performances a day!"

Ravel came to love jazz in the 1920s, and visited the States where he met Gershwin, and Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong too, I believe. Ravel named the slow movement of his Violin Sonata of 1926 "Blues", adding quickly that it did not of course sound anything like a blues because it was written by Ravel. But I've always felt that that movement in particular has more in the way of blues intensity than practically anything written by white composers of the period, European or American - even Gershwin, Stravinsky and Milhaud. In it he applied the bitonal harmonic thinking that was around in modern music at the time to the blues scale, which was then quite progressive in concept:

Franziska Hölscher and Benjamin Moser perform the Second Movement "Blues" of Maurice Ravel's Violin Sonata No. 2 live at the C. Bechstein Centrum Berlin in J...

BTW Ravel hated French colonial exploitation in Africa, composing his angriest piece, the second of his Chansons Madécasses, written at the same time as the Sonata, as a lament for the slaves in Madagascar. I hope this gets mentioned in next weeks programmes.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Huge fan of Ravel from when I first started listening to jazz, thinking "classical music" was boring and the stuff of school concerts, amateur trios playing Brahms, and then hearing the Voice of America play Monk's Reflections and straight after, Ravel's Gaspard and realising this wasn't *so* very far away. The Concerto for Left Hand is still a favourite as is his string quartet, for quite personal reasons.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

BN
          Is this the guy - very much a ‘Yesterday man’ now - and one of the Ravers a certain James Patrick Page.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Yes, I saw that and the Chris Andews identity, writing all those hits for Sandie Shaw. Who wore no shoes because her feet were enormous with carbuncles like pickled eggs. Or that could just be a myth.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Huge fan of Ravel from when I first started listening to jazz, thinking "classical music" was boring and the stuff of school concerts, amateur trios playing Brahms, and then hearing the Voice of America play Monk's Reflections and straight after, Ravel's Gaspard and realising this wasn't *so* very far away. The Concerto for Left Hand is still a favourite as is his string quartet, for quite personal reasons.
              Frank Zappa's version of Ravel's 'Bolero' in Barcelona, 1988:

This ditty is taken from Zappas Final Rock Band Tour 1988The video was shown on TV in Barcelona but the soundtrack is from a separate live performance and sy...

JR
              Last edited by Jazzrook; 21-03-21, 15:41.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I came in after the start of J to Z, in the middle of Esperanza Spalding and Fred Hersch's versh of "Girl talk", and without having checked concluded this must be Sheila Jordan doing one of her p***takes, accompanied by a very good pianist I couldn't identify, so... how many others were surprised? "Girl Talk" - great tune, but no feminist anthem, is it?!!

Comment

Working...
                X