• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Ask, and it shall not be broadcast.

Sat 13 March
    5.30pm - J to Z

Kevin Le Gendre with live music from classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, recorded at his home.

Jason, it says, plays music from Pat Metheny's new album Road to the Sun (nothing to do with the newspaper of that name, I don't think); and Pat himself is the musician talks slot, so, really looking forward to this edition.

Live music from classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, plus Pat Metheny’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness

Shipp ahoy! - and put that Cleaver down!

A well-loved group of American players create music that’s joyful, engaged and intimate.

No Jazz Record Requests on Sunday: the programme has to make way for Choral Evensong - and it's a REPEAT of last Wednesday's!!!!! What in Brian's name is going on???????????
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 13 March
    5.30pm - J to Z

Kevin Le Gendre with live music from classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, recorded at his home.

Jason, it says, plays music from Pat Metheny's new album Road to the Sun (nothing to do with the newspaper of that name, I don't think); and Pat himself is the musician talks slot, so, really looking forward to this edition.

Live music from classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, plus Pat Metheny’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness

A well-loved group of American players create music that’s joyful, engaged and intimate.

No Jazz Record Requests on Sunday: the programme has to make way for Choral Evensong - and it's a REPEAT of last Wednesday's!!!!! What in Brian's name is going on???????????
    Absolutely outrageous that JRR is dispensed with to make way for a REPEAT of last Wednesday's 'Choral Evensong'.
    The schedulers at Radio 3 must have a real contempt for jazz.

JR

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Your thread title is a let down, S_A. I thought at last you’d found a route to get rid of the new rubbishy Saturday morning 5 - 7 slot!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Your thread title is a let down, S_A. I thought at last you’d found a route to get rid of the new rubbishy Saturday morning 5 - 7 slot!
        Well, you see cloughie, my unsubtle title reference to the Sermon on the Mount was deliberately directed at the substitute for Jazz Record Requests being what it is.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

A documentary 'Billie: In Search of Billie Holiday'(BBC2, Sat 13 March, 9.45pm) may be some compensation for the missing JRR on Sunday.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            A documentary 'Billie: In Search of Billie Holiday'(BBC2, Sat 13 March, 9.45pm) may be some compensation for the missing JRR on Sunday.

JR
            Thanks for that, JR. From trails of this it would seem they've managed to colour up black and white footage we've seen many times, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Sat 13 March
              5.30pm - J to Z

12midnight - Freeness

CE also shunted by Discovery and Innovation, it would seem.

I would have thought JRR was the perfect medium for discovery and innovation!

OG

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                CE also shunted by Discovery and Innovation, it would seem.

I would have thought JRR was the perfect medium for discovery and innovation!

OG
                That thought crossed my mind too, but the missing part of the deal is "BBC orchestras and choirs".

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Well, you see cloughie, my unsubtle title reference to the Sermon on the Mount was deliberately directed at the substitute for Jazz Record Requests being what it is.
                  The obvious answer to anyone other than the Head of R3 - is to play JRR on Saturday mornings from 5 - 7 so that it can be listened to on Sounds. That’ll get all these younger listeners on side!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Sat 13 March
                    5.30pm - J to Z

I enjoyed Jason Vieaux's classical interpretations on the above, but was a bit surprised by some of Pat Metheny's musical choices: I got rid of Gary Burton's "Hello Hotel" because I couldn't stand his obvious leaden homage to Satie's overplayed Gymnopédies - which were background music in every restaurant at that time - and didn't think there was anything particularly special about the Wes Montgomery track. Nice to hear the straight-ahead Don Cherry from '66, though.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....Hello Hotel very dud....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Sat 13 March
                        5.30pm - J to Z

12midnight - Freeness

Not only that, but I now notice J to Z has been truncated to 60 minutes too!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          Not only that, but I now notice J to Z has been truncated to 60 minutes too!
                          I expect Alyn knows what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                          X