• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

It's Schneider one thing nor the other

Sat 6 March
    5pm - J to Z

Jumoké Fashola with a showcase of the finest new jazz. Plus, guests, today with composer and band leader Maria Schneider discussing her two great mentors, Gil Evans and Bob Brookmeyer. Plus concert highlights from Finnish pianist Iro Haarla, backed by a new quartet featuring veteran Finnish saxophonist Juhani Aaltonen.

World-leading composer and bandleader Maria Schneider shares her inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    A 2019 gig by British project Black Top, founded by keyboardist Pat Thomas and multi-instrumentalist Orphy Robinson, joined by bassist William Parker, drummer Hamid Drake and guest vocalist Elaine Mitchener, recorded at Café Oto in east London. Plus a wordless chorus from the Chicago Modern Orchestra Project directed by Renée Baker.

A gig I greatly regret having missed - wonder if anyone else from the forum was there.

Soul-soaked jazz and free-falling dissonance with moreish momentum.

Sun 7 March
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with a female-led playlist including Hazel Scott, Camilla George and Vi Redd, now 92.

Alyn Shipton with music from Hazel Scott, Vi Redd and Camilla George.

Just to mention there are lots and lots of women composers being featured in next week's classical offerings, many of them names new to me at any rate.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Much as I am enjoying today's J to Z, I've missed some of the titles, and it's a shame one can no longer click on played items on the iplayer to find out more details about the recordings without needing to go off-piste for that purpose. Or am I suffering from false memory syndrome?

Comment

Working...
    X