X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Thursday Night is Barfe Night

Live from the Rhondda Cynon Taf valleys, Louis Barfe presents a very entertaining show of jazz and other rarities every Thursday night from 10pm, or you can listen again for up to 7 days hence. Barfe is a writer and drummer and has a deep appreciation for the music. And jokes about old men in their underpants.
    Last edited by Tenor Freak; 05-02-21, 00:22. Reason: crivens and help ma boab
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Bruce

Good morning

Have you now moved out to Wales ?

Really intrigued how you have managed to find an on line jazz radio programme that emanates from the middle of nowhere. The website doesn't offer much information , I am afraid,although the ability to listen to Iron Maiden at 6.45 in the morning is more that I could bare. What kind of jazz does he play ?

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
      Bruce

Good morning

Have you now moved out to Wales ?

Really intrigued how you have managed to find an on line jazz radio programme that emanates from the middle of nowhere. The website doesn't offer much information , I am afraid,although the ability to listen to Iron Maiden at 6.45 in the morning is more that I could bare. What kind of jazz does he play ?
      No - still here in sunny Wiltshire. Not sure if Bluesnik would agree that Aberdare is "the middle of nowhere", though it may be close...

Here is a link to the programme from last night:

Original air date - 04/02/21 Thursday Night is Barfe Night is Jacs Radio's flagship light entertainment programme! Join Louis for fun and frolicks and follow along on Twitter - @AlanKelloggs Listen live, loofahs and all, every Thursday night at 10pm on http://www.jacsradio.media

Louis Barfe is an expert on British light entertainment and is also a massive jazz fan with an enormous collection of recordings. (And he's also a drummer.)

The music played varied from Brand X, to Herbie Hancock, to Billy Cotton and Jack Hylton (I think?), Sarah Moule with Duncan Lamont and Mel Torme.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
        No - still here in sunny Wiltshire. Not sure if Bluesnik would agree that Aberdare is "the middle of nowhere", though it may be close...

Here is a link to the programme from last night:

Original air date - 04/02/21 Thursday Night is Barfe Night is Jacs Radio's flagship light entertainment programme! Join Louis for fun and frolicks and follow along on Twitter - @AlanKelloggs Listen live, loofahs and all, every Thursday night at 10pm on http://www.jacsradio.media

Louis Barfe is an expert on British light entertainment and is also a massive jazz fan with an enormous collection of recordings. (And he's also a drummer.)

The music played varied from Brand X, to Herbie Hancock, to Billy Cotton and Jack Hylton (I think?), Sarah Moule with Duncan Lamont and Mel Torme.
        The only jazz Billy Cotton played was Wakey Wakey jazz.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Oh no it wasn’t! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZMQNN8xo_I

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Really shocked by that Billy Cotton performance although I seem to recall reading about it's existence at one time. I was curious as to whether the trumpeter was Nat Gonella? Anyway, the trumpeter is impressive.

The whole issue of British dance bands from 20s-40s is a minefield and is probably distorted by the fact that they are often compared unfavourably with American swing bands, many of whom were actually on the scene much later than these bands from the UK who were more contemporary with many of the American dance bands of the likes of Whiteman, etc. It is a real lottery with these dance bands from either side of the Atlantic. The biggest hurdle for me to overcome are the terrible vocals and the rather corny drumming that often exists with the British bands. That said, I think you can still turn up some gems.

I have been mesmerised by some of the recordings on Youtube from obscure bands from the 1920s over the last couple of weeks. Strangely, the bands often seem to feature some quite familiar soloists whilst being led by people I have never heard of before. This is a prime example which features two very well known soloists plus a musician "shredding" on a banjo and another seemingly being able to make noises on his violin without a bow. It fascinates me how he is doing this even if the result is excruciating.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

The two trumpeters with Cotton on Black and Tan were George Burgess and Bruts Gonella (Nat's brother). Billy Cotton Sr used to have Ellington stock arrangements sent direct to him in Liverpool when his band was working in the north west and they played them (and recorded them) before any other UK band got hold of them.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Aberdare... definitely in the middle of somewhere:

In the late 1970s I spent three very happy years working on Structure Plan Research for Mid Glamorgan Council. Most weeks actually walking the lengths of the Cynon, Merthyr and Rhondda valleys to identify potential employment development sites. A joy it was to be alive (pre Thatcher).

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

I am ignorant of a lot of music from that 20s-40s era, so I'm trying to do a bit to educate myself such as listening to a lot of music from the time. I have transcribed a couple of Pres solos from the 30s and am an admirer.

Also finally getting around to learning the "Rhythm" changes.
                  Last edited by Tenor Freak; 06-02-21, 16:57. Reason: I got rhythm

Comment

Working...
                  X