X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katzelmacher
    • Jan 2021

Soft Machine Discussion

I first listened to this band in the late 80s. I’d heard that they were the ‘other band’ (apart from Pink Floyd) who opened the UFO Club in January 1967. It was fairly safe to assume, therefore, that I could expect psychedelia.

That wasn’t what their first album exactly delivered, though I can’t say I disliked it. I remember being not particularly sold on Mike Ratledge’s keyboards and the absence of (what I understood as)’lead guitar’ was disappointing. I didn’t investigate further and when I learned that their subsequent albums steered further into the territory of ‘fusion’ or even just plain ‘jazz’, I made a mental note not to bother with them.

However, tastes change and in 1997, I picked up their Third album. I struggled with it quite a bit (Facelift is one of those ‘confrontational’ opening tracks that pitches the listener right into the centre of things) but eventually I came to appreciate it (or, at least, some of it). I retained it in my collection and listened to other things until, in the mid-2000s, when CDs became cheap as chips, I decided it was time to investigate further. I picked up the rest of their Columbia catalogue, as well as the second album - and NOW, I was ready to listen. These albums rapidly became among my most-listened to of the first decade of the 21st century.

I’m aware that a majority of ‘Softheads’ seem to think that the band declined after Robert Wyatt left/wa made to leave and that the arrival of Karl Jenkins (possibly the most controversial British musician of the last forty years) began a precipitous decline in the band’s fortunes that led to them producing (what many would describe as) ‘slightly more interesting than average elevator music’. Others feel that the decision to include guitarists in the line-up (two pretty amazing ones, it must be said) turned the band into a bland fusion outfit (Fusion being a genre that still doesn’t command universal respect - indeed, respect for it seems to have declined in the last forty years).

Personally, I enjoy all eras of the band, but I suppose I have to give the nod to 1970-72. And I’m glad Wyatt left because otherwise we wouldn’t have had his incredible solo career.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a four-disc set of live Soft Machine from 1970-71: superb performances, some of them including the short-tenured ‘free form’ drummer Phil Howard (who seems to have vanished from the face of the earth).

Thoughts on Soft Machine?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I first encountered them at the Prom they shared with Intermodulation, who were the reason for my attendance. The BBC recording of Soft Machine's contribution was included with at least one re-issue of Third. I share your concerns regarding Mike Ratledge. I did not find their work after Robert Wyatt left as interesting as their second or third albums.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

I've only ever listened to some of their stuff with Allan Holdsworth, whom I believe you allude to, and who is pretty amazing. I've just discovered that the whole Montreux show has just been put on youtube -

As for Fusion - it contains a fair number of masterpieces, along with much dross - like most genres or sub-genres, I guess.

Comment

• Katzelmacher
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        I've only ever listened to some of their stuff with Allan Holdsworth, whom I believe you allude to, and who is pretty amazing. I've just discovered that the whole Montreux show has just been put on youtube -

As for Fusion - it contains a fair number of masterpieces, along with much dross - like most genres or sub-genres, I guess.
        Holdsworth was an amazing player but I think John Etheridge is his equal in many ways and he’s been very loyal to the SM for a long time.

Comment

• Katzelmacher
          • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I first encountered them at the Prom they shared with Intermodulation, who were the reason for my attendance. The BBC recording of Soft Machine's contribution was included with at least one re-issue of Third. I share your concerns regarding Mike Ratledge. I did not find their work after Robert Wyatt left as interesting as their second or third albums.

Another critical commonplace is that Ratledge’s reduced role after 5 diminished the group. I don’t necessarily think it did, but it certainly made it different.

Ratledge is alive and well, apparently, but has no plans for a return to composing/performing.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Katzelmacher View Post
            Holdsworth was an amazing player but I think John Etheridge is his equal in many ways and he’s been very loyal to the SM for a long time.
            I guess I ought to check out more of Etheridge. Where should I start? Not wishing to compare or rank BTW...

Comment

• Katzelmacher
              • Jan 2021

I guess I ought to check out more of Etheridge. Where should I start? Not wishing to compare or rank BTW...
              Softs, the album on which JE replaced AH, is probably the best place to start:

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Katzelmacher View Post
                Softs, the album on which JE replaced AH, is probably the best place to start:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softs_(album)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Thanks for linking that Montreux session - hadn't seen it before.

Etheridge was taken on, as he says, because he could do the "Holdsworth thing" of, in his own words "flashing about on the guitar". John can be notorious for downplaying his playing with tongue firmly in cheek: I've always thought he was more eclectic in his tastes and performing choices - he "subbed" as a replica Django Reinhardt in duets with the ageing Stephane Grapelli, except of course he was no mimic, and he was drawn to heavy blues rock playing too - not just in his own band Zappatistas, which did very good versions of FZ compositions, with John doing the Zappa wah-wah thing. As far as I know Ratledge took to doing sessions; I was told that a certain TV ad depicting trendy neo-hippy teens at home while mum and dad were away, possibly an advert for BT, featured a tune written by Ratledge which had some good guitar work on it by Etheridge, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else can remember that ad, maybe some time around the Millennium?

Comment

Working...
                  X