• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Born to be bop Alula!

Sat 9 Jan
    5pm - J to Z

In a programme first broadcast last February, Kevin Le Gendre presents a session from bassist Michael Janisch and his quintet, who perform music from their 2019 album, Worlds Collide. And US saxophonist Joe Lovano shares music that inspires him, in particular drummers who have influenced the way he plays, including Elvin Jones, and Ornette Coleman's drummer Ed Blackwell.

I remember this as being a good episode of J to Z, with Janish providing a fine set and strong line-up, and Lovano illuminating how two completely differently styled drummers can shape the individuality of another instrumentalist.

Live music from bassist Michael Janisch, plus Joe Lovano’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba presents improvised music for saxophone and drums. On Alula's 2019 album inspired by the motion of a bird's wing, Brooklyn-based saxophonist Caroline Davis and drummer Greg Sanier are joined by synth player Matt Mitchell. South Korean duo of saxophonist Daniel Ko and drummer Soojin Suh base their improvisations on fold and religious melodies before launching into rapturous solos reminiscent of the classic 1960s free jazz era. And duo Elda (trumpeter Aaron Diaz; keyboardist Andrew Woodhead) welcome saxophonist Faye MacCalman on to their latest record, Hippocampinae, where live electronic soundscapes are created from the raw sounds of their instruments.

Featuring a series of tracks born out of partnerships between a saxophone and drums.

Sun 10 Jan
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Jazz records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners.

Note also that Friday 15th's Afternoon Concert (2pm) includes the following work:

Marius Neset - Manmade (first performance) with Marius Neset (saxophone) Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Edward Gardner.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

I tried, but absolutely nothing to complain about in this week's JRR.

......Well, may be the guitar in Stacey's You're the Top was unnecessary and a little irritating.....

Otherwise Stolen Moments my favourite.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

I'll tell Colin, Quarky, I'm sure he'll be delighted to know he's unnecessary and irritating.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        I'll tell Colin, Quarky, I'm sure he'll be delighted to know he's unnecessary and irritating.
        Well Alyn, I'm sure Colin will give my view the weight it deserves (approximately zero)!

It was a excellent programme, but in view of adverse comments last week, I was listening with a view to seeing what might be upsetting folks. My conclusion was that within its envelope, Jazz covers a huge range of styles and approaches, and you can't please everybody all the time.

It is the custom within Jazz to let everyone have the spotlight at least for a short time, but in this case, I felt Stacey's voice plus piano were doing very well, and to amplify the guitar's contribution was a bit of a diversion. Otherwise I'm sure Colin is an excellent guitarist.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

I've just checked out You're the Top and I don't understand the complaint - the guitar doesn't even solo on the version I found.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            I've just checked out You're the Top and I don't understand the complaint - the guitar doesn't even solo on the version I found.
            The guitar didn't solo, but in the latter part of the track, the guitar's contribution as accompanist was amplified so that it was clearly there as a third voice - I felt it didn't add anything and upset the balance.
            Last edited by Quarky; 11-01-21, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
            X