• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Attack nails it!

Sat 28 Nov
    5pm J to Z

Julian Joseph presents highlights from this year's BBC Young Jazz Musician competition. And London-raised trumpeter Sheila Maurice-Grey, who leads Afrobeat collective Kokoroko, shares some of the music that inspires her.

Highlights from this year’s competition. Plus Sheila Maurice-Grey’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba showcases improvised music, featuring screaming saxophone lines from Swedish musician Anna Hogberg's group Attack. Plus highlights of a new album from pianist Alexander Hawkins and clarinettist Marco Colonna featuring their fresh take on the unpredictable harmonies and rhythmic invention of American modern-jazz multi-instrumentalist Eric Dolphy (1928-64).

Screaming saxophone lines from the Swedish player Anna Högberg’s group Attack.

Sun 29 Nov
    4.30pm - Jazz Record Requests

With Alyn Shipton, featuring Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Dudu Pukwana and saxophonist Grace Kelly.

Note the starting time - of which Alyn reminded us last week.

Alyn Shipton with jazz records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners.

Fri 4 Dec
    7.30pm - Radio 3 in Concert

Another chance to hear a 1992 concert featuring jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck (1920-2012) recorded at the Royal Festival Hall, London and featuring Bill Smith (clarinet), Jack Six (bass) and Randy Jones (drums), joined by Brubeck's cellist son Matthew.
    Dave Brubeck Quartet

Howard Brubeck - Theme for June

Dave Brubeck - Once When I Was Very Young; Peace of Jerusalem; Softly William Softly; Out of the Way of the People; Three to Get Ready; Sermon on the Mount; In Your Own Sweet Way; Brandenburg Gate

Desmond - Take Five

Handy - St Louis Blues.

The legendary Dave Brubeck, recorded live in concert at the Royal Festival Hall in 1992.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

...Anna Attacks Hog Berg, might have done it this week.....far be it from me to blaa blaa....lol
    bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ...Anna Attacks Hog Berg, might have done it this week.....far be it from me to blaa blaa....lol
      Only one tack needed to nail it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I am enjoying the Young Musicians final more in listening mode than I did watching it taking place. This bears out my thought that jazz is above all best treated as a listening form, like classical concert music, without the visual aspect that acts as a distraction. Maybe those who carp at jazz musicians for ensuring jazz has only minority appeal by not putting on a show will only gain approval for an incidental side to the music - one that normalises the visual over the primacy of the auditory.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Today's Jazz Record Requests is turning out to be a particularly good one! I hadn't come across the Jazz Messengers track previously - really knocked out by Lee Morgan and Benny Golson, some of the best playing from either of them, with Benny sounding like he'd been paying attention to 'Trane at the time. Would I be right in thinking that tracks are being terminated early sometimes these days? I know we may have had this out before, but the Harold McNair track did seem to bite the dust before its time was out.

Much anticipating the Dudu Pukwana track from an album that has somehow managed to pass me by. I guess that would be guitarist Phil Lee's debut on vinyl.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Along came Betty is the hippest tune in Hiptown. That wonderful nonchalance, theme and solos. I think Wayne was being "subjective" when he said the Messengers were "all bash bash bash", Maybe more in his time but the band's with Golson/Morgan and Mobley/Dorham/Byrd certainly were not. IMHO.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

Killer Joe is Betty's beau, I reckon.

Another slow burner from Golson

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Sat 28 Nov
                5pm J to Z

Julian Joseph presents highlights from this year's BBC Young Jazz Musician competition. And London-raised trumpeter Sheila Maurice-Grey, who leads Afrobeat collective Kokoroko, shares some of the music that inspires her.

Highlights from this year’s competition. Plus Sheila Maurice-Grey’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
                Corey Mwamba showcases improvised music, featuring screaming saxophone lines from Swedish musician Anna Hogberg's group Attack. Plus highlights of a new album from pianist Alexander Hawkins and clarinettist Marco Colonna featuring their fresh take on the unpredictable harmonies and rhythmic invention of American modern-jazz multi-instrumentalist Eric Dolphy (1928-64).

Screaming saxophone lines from the Swedish player Anna Högberg’s group Attack.

Sun 29 Nov
                4.30pm - Jazz Record Requests

With Alyn Shipton, featuring Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Dudu Pukwana and saxophonist Grace Kelly.

Note the starting time - of which Alyn reminded us last week.

Alyn Shipton with jazz records from across the genre, as requested by Radio 3 listeners.

Fri 4 Dec
                7.30pm - Radio 3 in Concert

Another chance to hear a 1992 concert featuring jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck (1920-2012) recorded at the Royal Festival Hall, London and featuring Bill Smith (clarinet), Jack Six (bass) and Randy Jones (drums), joined by Brubeck's cellist son Matthew.
                Dave Brubeck Quartet

Howard Brubeck - Theme for June

Dave Brubeck - Once When I Was Very Young; Peace of Jerusalem; Softly William Softly; Out of the Way of the People; Three to Get Ready; Sermon on the Mount; In Your Own Sweet Way; Brandenburg Gate

Desmond - Take Five

Handy - St Louis Blues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q236
                A strongly Jazz flavoured Ivors Composer Awards may be of interest to some:

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                  A strongly Jazz flavoured Ivors Composer Awards may be of interest to some:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000pxmy
                  I heard it on Toady this morning: Julian Joseph has been awarded a Fellowship.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I heard it on Toady this morning: Julian Joseph has been awarded a Fellowship.
                    I heard it on Free Brekfust, from the Squire 'imself.

Comment

Working...
                    X