Hassan Inn Ali Qrt - "The famously lost Atlantic album... 2021 Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Here 'Tis....the Metaphysics album, uploaded to YouTube ...not sure how long it'll stay up, so...

There's also a lot of background Inc an interview with Lewis Porter etc on a recent similar thread.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Here 'Tis....the Metaphysics album, uploaded to YouTube ...not sure how long it'll stay up, so...

There's also a lot of background Inc an interview with Lewis Porter etc on a recent similar thread.
      Well, I feel that it is far more listenable than the "official" trio album. The perceived consensus that this is not a "classic" is probably spot on. Just wonder if this record had been made by Stan Tracey, it would have retained it's mystique. I like Elmo Hope's playing and am struggling to understand the connection with Hasaan. It is just an OK record which perhaps scratches an itch for some fans and the comment about Pope finding his way around is just. Much prefer him on his own records. He seems to be grappling with Coltrane on this record. As for enhancing Hasaan's own reputation, I appreciate that he was an original but on the basis of listening to this for about 30 minutes, it is an improvement on the trio disc yet not quite what I had expected. The record improves as it progresses but it is a strange record for 1965. I wonder how much better it would have been had Alfred Lions supervised the set ? (For example, getting a better piano in the studio.) There is something about the music that you cannot dismiss yet I am a little under-whelmed.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Well, I've just listened to the whole thing for the first time and I find it a lot better than I feared. True the piano doesn't help and the sound is boxy, but it's taken from an acetate and not the masters. I find Pope actually rather good given the difficulty and it being his first recording date. I've no problem with his "sound". I do get the Elmo Hope association, the phrasing and that skittishness that Elmo got into his runs. There are times that the band lacks cohesion but recovers. All in all, OK not a masterpiece, but not a dud either. I am buying this.

Little addendum. Hassan had a stroke later and was institutionised. Apparantly he had access to
        a piano which he banged like a child, he had lost the ability to play.

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

I will wait till I get my copy before I comment - I am finding it difficult to get a CD but I seem to have sorted it now, so it should turn up in a few days.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Still no sign of "Metaphysics" yet - listening today to the very fine Horace Tapscott, his approach is in the Bud, Monk, Elmo, Herbie N, school of piano. Here he is playing "Akirfa" with Art Davis and Roy Haynes.

Horace admired Elmo Hope and played with him as a member of Lionel Hamptons band when Horace played trombone. Interestingly Lionel had at different times Elmo, Dick Twardzick and Oscar Dennard all Quirkily original pianists in his band.....who'd have thought

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Elmo

Did the Hasaan album turn up and have you played it yet? I read part of a review in jazz Journal and it was not too favourable.

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Hi Ian - The Hasaan turned up this morning - will report back when I have played it

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  Hi Ian - The Hasaan turned up this morning - will report back when I have played it

elmo
                  I really like this album which will come as no surprise considering my predilection for this type of pianist. This album demonstrates Hasaan's roots in the music of Monk and Hope more than the first Atlantic album, particularely the first two compositions "Atlantic ones" a Monk like tune heightened by Qdean Pope's advanced Charlie Rouse styled tenor. The following tune "Viceroy" is very like Elmo in composition and solo. Both " El Hasaan" and "Metaphysics" show Hasaan at his best where the influences gel together and result in very distinctive and inspired original compostions and soloing. this is powerful music not the bland soulless college music that passes for jazz now. The album has three alternates each of which are considerably different to the masters, a definite bonus.
                  I think the "lost masterpiece" tends to prompt a negative reaction due to people looking to prove that it isn't rather than what it is. Hasaan led a rather tragic, chaotic lifestyle and I think if life and recording had been kinder to him he may well have turned out a masterpiece. Odean Pope plays well and fits in with Hasaan's concepts but it was early days for Odean and I would have loved to have heard Hasaan with perhaps John Gilmore on tenor.
                  All in all a very fine album - I did not read the Jazz Journal review but Jazzwise had a very favourable review by the excellent critic Brian Priestley who gave it four stars.

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Elmo

Thanks for your comments. I usually like these kinds of pianists but find there is an intensity with the tracks by Hasaan which makes him a difficult listen. I have been listening to a lot of Bud Powell the last week and it does make an interesting comparison as there are similarities between the pianists insofar of the lives they led. The more I listen to Powell, the more compelling he sounds. Playing "The Amazing Bud Powell" album, I have to admit that I am not a fan of rejected takes and , in Powell's case, some of the aborted tracks do not do him any favours. That said, I find Powell to be a fascinating player and really compelling. The tracks with Navarro and Rollins are so good that it is a shame that they did not record more often. He is a similar pianist who can be said to have worn his heart on his sleeve although , in Powell's case, this is often to the advantage of the music.

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Those tracks with Bud and Navarro are really great, often said to be the first tracks to be classed as hard bop. Bud was one of the greatest improvisors, superb Powell and Navarro not to mention Bird and Blakey on these 1950 Birdland tracks. Recording quality pretty duff but some of the finest bop recorded.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Coming soon , Hassan Ibn Ali, Solo Piano, 21 tracks...

Comment

• elmo
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                          Coming soon , Hassan Ibn Ali, Solo Piano, 21 tracks...

http://youtu.be/ktw8p8JHpIQ
                          Wow... I hoped these Alan Sukoenig tapes would be eventually issued, great news I have just pre ordered it. Incidentally Alan Sukoenig has tapes of Elmo Hope recorded in 1964. I wonder if the Omnivore label could obtain and issue those?

elmo

Comment

Working...
                          X