• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

From Ragas to pieces of Silva

Sat 22 Aug
    5pm - J to Z

Jumoké Fashola presents a concert from the Danish Radio Big Band, which formed in 1964 in Copenhagen. They're joined by Ohio-born blues-jazz guitarist John Scofield. And Anglo-Polish vocalist and violinist Alice Zawadski shares some [of] her inspirations including music by Bartok and a recording by trumpeter Hugh Masekela.

Not a repeat - yippee!

Live music from guitar great John Scofield. Plus Alice Zawadzki’s inspirations.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba presents an improvisation rooted in Hindustani classical music performed by cellist, sitarist and vocalist Pete Yelding. Plus new music from Portuguese trumpeter, composer and vocalist Susana Santos Silva and her Impermanence quintet.

This is a repeat, however.

An improvisation rooted in Hindustani classical music and a tingling ASMR synth track.

Sun 23 Aug

No Jazz Record Requests this week, and furthermore, there's no taking Pärt.

Comrades may however like to know about the following (repeat) programme on Radio 3, which is available on the iplayer:

Weds 26 Aug
    10pm - The Bernstein Files

Investigative journalist Jonathan Coffey describes how the FBI and other parts of the US government spied on composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein over three decades. Drawing on previously classified FBI files, he examines how the bureau, the US State Department and the Nixon White House suspected Bernstein of being a Communist and a national security threat. He talks to Bernstein's friends and family, to political activists, to a former White House staffer who exchanged secret memos about Bernstein and to witnesses who attended a fundraiser for the Black Panthers at Bernstein's New York apartment.

Whatever you feel about his music, Bernstein lent strong support to Ornette Coleman at the start of his musical life in New York. Charlie Haden recalls wondering who this bloke was who crept up and crouched right next to his bass one night when he was soloing, and someone telling him, "That's the great Leonard Bernstein".

Journalist Jonathan Coffey opens the secret FBI files on Leonard Bernstein.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

The FBI were determined to destroy Jean Seberg's life in every way possible. Total bastards.

My favourite "jazz" Bernstein story is him intently listening to Shelly Manne's quintet at Shelly's club, and shouting out at the close of the last number, "You played great 'blues drums' (sic) on that one Shelly!" To which Shelly Manne replied, "Lenny, you just stick to what you know about and I'll do the same!"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      The FBI were determined to destroy Jean Seberg's life in every way possible. Total bastards.

My favourite "jazz" Bernstein story is him intently listening to Shelly Manne's quintet at Shelly's club, and shouting out at the close of the last number, "You played great 'blues drums' (sic) on that one Shelly!" To which Shelly Manne replied, "Lenny, you just stick to what you know about and I'll do the same!"

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Just tuned in to J to Z. Why are we hearing opera and Henryk Gorecki on a jazz programme?

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Just tuned in to J to Z. Why are we hearing opera and Henryk Gorecki on a jazz programme?

JR
          She was giving us something of her Polish background - she could have found some Komeda or Urbaniak, or even Urszula Dudziak, the amazing singer, but instead Gorecki's most famous piece of music. The Bartok is an amazing work, but I can sympathise, opera elbowing jazz out on any number of occasions. I was more concerned about the opening piece, which to me wasn't jazz of any sort - could it be film music deprived of a film?

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            She was giving us something of her Polish background - she could have found some Komeda or Urbaniak, or even Urszula Dudziak, the amazing singer, but instead Gorecki's most famous piece of music. The Bartok is an amazing work, but I can sympathise, opera elbowing jazz out on any number of occasions. I was more concerned about the opening piece, which to me wasn't jazz of any sort - could it be film music deprived of a film?
            Komeda, Tomasz Stanko or Zbigniew Namyslowski Quartet would have been fine and more appropriate.
            Will have to check out the singer, Urszula Dudziak.

JR

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Anglo-Polish vocalist and violinist Alice Zawadski a Genuine original, according to the Guardian:

Performed at Manchester Jazz Festival 2015Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, UKWritten and arranged by Alice Zawadzki, with additional melodic mate...

Useful to know where Artists are coming from....

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                • Nov 2010

Come on Quarky Alice was featured on R3’s late and possibly but not so’s you’d notice lamented Jazz Now live from King’s Place in the 2018 London Jazz Festival, interviewed by Al and Emma and teamed with Rob Luft. Plenty about her musical influences there but also a chance to hear her play...I seem to remember a flautist (Hyelim Kim) in the line-up too.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                  Come on Quarky Alice was featured on R3’s late and possibly but not so’s you’d notice lamented Jazz Now live from King’s Place in the 2018 London Jazz Festival, interviewed by Al and Emma and teamed with Rob Luft. Plenty about her musical influences there but also a chance to hear her play...I seem to remember a flautist (Hyelim Kim) in the line-up too.
                  Thanks Alyn, most interesting.

Yes, much lamented Jazz Now. I can't help feeling that one reason for its demise was the view within influential jazz circles that we ought to hear Contemporary Jazz Musicians perform for lengthy periods of time, for full appreciation. Well that's as may be, but I feel it is a remedy for reducing the audience of non-hardcore Jazz followers to vanishing proportions! -- IMHO, of course.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                    Thanks Alyn, most interesting.

Yes, much lamented Jazz Now. I can't help feeling that one reason for its demise was the view within influential jazz circles that we ought to hear Contemporary Jazz Musicians perform for lengthy periods of time, for full appreciation. Well that's as may be, but I feel it is a remedy for reducing the audience of non-hardcore Jazz followers to vanishing proportions! -- IMHO, of course.
                    Oh I happen to think contemporary jazz musicians' performances are the currency, otherwise jazz ends up as just a museum piece for nostalgics, just like it nearly did back during the Trad Boom. Surely there could be equal place devoted for both ends of the speculum?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Oh I happen to think contemporary jazz musicians' performances are the currency, otherwise jazz ends up as just a museum piece for nostalgics, just like it nearly did back during the Trad Boom. Surely there could be equal place devoted for both ends of the speculum?

I know which end of the speculum I'd rather be on!

OG

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I know which end of the speculum I'd rather be on!

OG
                        Trust you to lower the tone, OG.
                        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                          Trust you to lower the tone, OG.
                          Well, S_A started it, sir!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            Well, S_A started it, sir!

Comment