• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Shack attack outback!

Sat 15 Aug

First to give brief mention of a second waft of the Luft at 11.45am - New Generation Artists
    Rob Luft - Synaesthesia with Luft's group, as detailed last week. Nice music, as our beloved Keith Tippett would once have said, with a

5pm J to Z
    Another chance to hear an edition from December in which Julian Joseph presents a session by New York-based piano trio the Bad Plus, who combine avant-garde jazz with aspects of pop and rock.

The J to Z staff must all be living it up, paying their way across the Atlantic on board the Queen Mary to hear their bop idols in NY. From memory, Mr Iverson's departure from The Bad Plus took a lot of the hubris out of its music, which benefitted thereby considerably, and the new pianist was . Also, "The Frizzle" shared some favourite recordings - this was a good 'un, as well!

Live music from the US piano trio and guitar great Bill Frisell shares inspiring tracks.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba hears from artist Allis Hamilton, who lives in a hand-built shack in the Australian outback. She makes improvised music.

Two Birds in the 78's are worth one hat complete with dangling corks in the bush!

Allis Hamilton describes how Australia’s wildfires have affected her as an improviser.

Sun 16 Aug
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with jazz records requested by Radio 3 listeners

Tues 18 Aug
    9pm - The Jazz Show with Jamie Cullum

Does anyone here manage to hear this programme, ever??

Jamie Cullum showcases his love of jazz, featuring live sessions and special guests
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Freeness and Allis Hamilton is a repeat, I believe. Unimpressed the first time around, but a second hearing might improve matters.

Used to listen to Jamie Cullum when he had a 7 p.m. slot, but these days, he's slipped beneath the radar.

JRR might be good.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

You're right about Freeness being a repeat, Quarky. Thanks for drawing it to our attention. But, another repeat of this programme, which has hardly yet got off the ground? One can understand the jazz establishment taking a shufty, but surely improvising musicians can't afford to take holidays?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Listening again to the programme confirmed as positive the change in direction for The Bad Plus that has removed the demagogy. But there was something strongly familiar about the second number of their set, which reminded me of a tail end of another tune, which I was able to sing in unison with the broadcast, but without being able to locate the original. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

As for Bill Frisell, I wasn't surprised at his choices, noting as I had anticipated the absence in the list of any other jazz guitarist; nor was I surprised at finding myself in total disagreement with practically every comment he made, with the exception of his amazement at Sonny Rollins's statement of intention to become a serious artist.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Basil Kirchin, first track up on JRR, had an extraordinary life and career. 50s big bands, early British R&R, right through to movie soundtracks and working with Evan Parker & the SME on sound and tape "experiments", animal sounds, the lot. He once played a slowed down and then modified tape of a swan and then one of Parker playing soprano harmonics to Alan Barnes and said, "I bet you can't tell the difference"!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Basil Kirchin, first track up on JRR, had an extraordinary life and career. 50s big bands, early British R&R, right through to movie soundtracks and working with Evan Parker & the SME on sound and tape "experiments", animal sounds, the lot. He once played a slowed down and then modified tape of a swan and then one of Parker playing soprano harmonics to Alan Barnes and said, "I bet you can't tell the difference"!

It was good hearing Alan Wakeman in JRR - it had been so long one had the idea he'd dropped out of the music. Just think, a different choice of instrument might have made him as famous as his brother! Did anyone note Alyn's mistake in today's programme?

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post

JRR might be good.
              JRR WAS good. Is it just me, or is the musical standard of requests going up? in any event, the value of JRR seems to be lost on the Controller, as we are losing JRR next week.

Granted that we are in the Proms Season (virtually) where big program changes are made, but the Prom in question, 2 hours long, might have been placed elsewhere. For example if TS Listening Service "Musical Keys" had been axed (and one or two others), we would have been grateful for the favour.

J to Z was also very good, and at least we are well informed about Bill Frissell's musical influences and tastes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                JRR WAS good. Is it just me, or is the musical standard of requests going up? in any event, the value of JRR seems to be lost on the Controller, as we are losing JRR next week.

Granted that we are in the Proms Season (virtually) where big program changes are made, but the Prom in question, 2 hours long, might have been placed elsewhere. For example if TS Listening Service "Musical Keys" had been axed (and one or two others), we would have been grateful for the favour.

J to Z was also very good, and at least we are well informed about Bill Frissell's musical influences and tastes.
                Nice to see it's catching on! But has no one yet spotted Alyn's error yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                X