X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Monk album 'Palo Alto' delayed

Sadly, an unreleased Thelonious Monk live album 'Palo Alto'(Impulse!) has been delayed indefinitely due to a dispute with his previous record company:

JR
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

"[It's] one of the best live recordings I've ever heard by Thelonious...I wasn't even aware of my dad playing a high school gig, but he and the band were on it." So says T.S. Monk, son of groundbre…

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

I've just seen this on Organissimo, posted 19 hrs ago...

"For folks in the UK, some CD versions have made their way to HMV stores. I was able to pick one up in HMV Bath today, they had three copies on display. I'm guessing other branches may also have stock but for how long before they are withdrawn is anybody's guess. I haven't had chance to listen yet."

Maybe worth a try at other HMV branches? Could soon be a *real* collectors item.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        I've just seen this on Organissimo, posted 19 hrs ago...

"For folks in the UK, some CD versions have made their way to HMV stores. I was able to pick one up in HMV Bath today, they had three copies on display. I'm guessing other branches may also have stock but for how long before they are withdrawn is anybody's guess. I haven't had chance to listen yet."

Maybe worth a try at other HMV branches? Could soon be a *real* collectors item.

BN.
        I've just ordered a copy via an Amazon seller(Chalkys.com).
        A bit pricey at over £17 but, as you say, it's likely to become a collectors' item.
        Look forward to hearing this 1968 concert in Palo Alto.

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

It is fascinating how lawyers have become involved in protecting the legal rights of long-departed jazz musicians. There was another incident with the Monk estate about 20-odd years ago where the singer Fleurine narrowly averted legal action after penning lyrics to a Mon composition. I can appreciate the copyright issues but it does seem extremely ironic that the lawyers were not quite so vociferous when Monk tried to recover his cabaret card which had been withdrawn in the 1950s.

I think that it will be fascinating to see how this eventually pans out in respect of things such as when copyright expires but also how record companies will continue to market rediscovered material to give it added cache. You can envisage a lot of rediscovered material appearing on resurrected labels such as Impulse and Blue Note simply to give the music greater cache. The issue that most intrigues me about this rediscovered material is just how much it will re-write the history of jazz. You can envisage that record labels are going to really push this stuff simply because of the marketability of much of this music but whilst there are going to be albums which are probably over-praised such as the two recent Coltrane albums, I strongly believe there is a possibility of stories having to be re-written. There was an article on line around Christmas which assessed the amount of material by John Coltrane that has never seen the light of day where an incredible figure was given of something like an albums' worth of material being available annually for the next eighty years.

From a personal perspective, it would be more interesting, I feel, if more work by under-recorded artists could be released.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post

I think that it will be fascinating to see how this eventually pans out in respect of things such as when copyright expires but also how record companies will continue to market rediscovered material to give it added cache.
            Added cash..............

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Added cash..............
              Trumpet fanfare...

Yesterday, 4th September, Twitter...

Ted Gioia
              @tedgioia
              ·23h
              Hooray! The previously cancelled Thelonious Monk album Palo Alto gets rescheduled for release on September 18.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                Trumpet fanfare...

Yesterday, 4th September, Twitter...

Ted Gioia
                @tedgioia
                ·23h
                Hooray! The previously cancelled Thelonious Monk album Palo Alto gets rescheduled for release on September 18.

BN.
                After several abortive attempts I finally managed to find a copy via Amazon.
                Monk's quartet are in energised form and think it's one of his best live recordings.

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  After several abortive attempts I finally managed to find a copy via Amazon.
                  Monk's quartet are in energised form and think it's one of his best live recordings.

JR
                  Jazzrook

I think that you make a very valid point because so many of these newly discovered live recordings are actually right on the money. Sometimes I feel that the audio quality might be lacking yet the playing often seems to be a more accurate representation of what these musicians were really about. The reputations of many jazz musicians are based on studio recordings where the editing process may ultimately produce a record which is not a 100% accurate assessment of what went on in the studio. The live material that is being unearthed and released is usually of such a high quality that it deserves commercial distribution. My opinion is that these live recordings will probably enhance the reputations of so many players - even when they enjoy one that is already decent.

Comment

Working...
                  X