• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    Got to say that Bluesniks summed it up perfectly. Coltrane never needed to wear a short skirt to sell records.
    What makes you think Han needs to wear a short skirt to sell records, given the fact that you've admitted how formidable she is?

I think your argument is flawed. The album cover is just a marketing ploy. I have no interest in what Han looks like as I only buy records for the music. It does detract from the message inside and although you are correct that I do not know Han's motivation for what she has taken that route (her earlier album is similar), you can also get the message that a bit of flesh will enhance sales.
    We're here again. One moment you claim to have no interest in her appearance, then in the next sentence you invoke her appearance to claim it detracts from 'the message inside' whatever the hell that is.

You then detract from both Han's musicianship and jazz audiences in thinking they'd be swayed by showing a bit of flesh.

Unlike classical music where it is about interpretation, jazz is about the musician expressing their personality. If you like, jazz musicians are wearing their hearts on their sleeve. It has nothing to do with being unreconstructed. You are interpreting the album cover to suit your agenda but she could just as easily have been exploited by the marketing executives. The point that you have failed to recognise is my question as to who is the album supposed to appeal. Is it a presentation of per own personality or is this a cynical ploy to market the record. As I said, most people buying jazz records are going to be middle-aged blokes such as myself. Furthermore, the images are appearing on a CD which, again, it going to be something that appeals to an older demographic. It just reinforces my perception that the pitch of this CD is totally wrong.

I have no problem looking at attractive women, regardless if you want to consider me to be unreconstructed. However, the issue is clear cut. The whole concept in which Miss Han is being marketed is diametrically opposed to the kind of mindset of people buying jazz records. Most people listening to jazz have no real interest in colour or gender as it is about the music. I just find it uncomfortable with jazz records being marketed like this .

No doubt Cloughie would have liked the photo..
    Again, more questionable assertions and sentences that follow the same pattern of 'I have no interest in her appearance. Except I do, it makes me uncomfortable.'

You sound confused. Read my replies and try to comprehend what I'm saying rather than just repeating the same confused twaddle.

Comment

Working...
    X