• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Wayne Shorter...

From the Organissimo Forum, just now...

"Wow, haven't heard this anywhere else, but in today Mosaic email, Cuscuna says. "Wayne is no longer able to play or tour, though he continues to compose." The article he links to makes no mention of this, but still, it seems plausible, and MC is not one to tell tales out of school"

I know there is a series of fund raising concerts planned at some point, obviously not now, and ongoing fundraising appeals.

BN.
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I'd seen on facebook that there was fundraising going on for his medical needs - but I find that odd; one would assume he could afford his medical costs (maybe someone knows better than me?)...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

BUFFALO JAZZ...."Last January, Shorter and his quartet had been scheduled to perform four shows at SFJAZZ, but had to cancel when Shorter became sick and couldn’t travel. In his absence, Hancock spearheaded the tribute shows to raise money for Shorter’s medical expenses, assembling the all-star lineup to perform some of the saxophonist’s most famous compositions. Along with the various special guests, each show featured the members of Shorter’s quartet, pianist Danilo Pérez, bassist John Patitucci and drummer Brian Blade.

The Shorter tribute streams are part of SFJAZZ’s new Fridays at Five series, an online membership program. The series was launched in response to the COVID-19 crisis to raise money for the organization. Fans can join with either a $5-a-month, or $60-a-year membership, while each broadcast also includes a virtual “tip jar,” with the artists and SFJAZZ splitting the money 50/50. For the Shorter concerts, however, all of the tip jar proceeds will go to Shorter’s medical expenses."

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Not that I think Shorter is among the super-wealthy, but is the situation really that bad that one of the greatest living jazz legends needs concerts put on to afford his medical needs??

EDIT: well, I guess so. I heard about Pat Martino and Kenny Burrell being in similar positions.
        Last edited by Joseph K; 26-05-20, 07:55.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

I had heard of the SFJAZZ series of tribute concert streams on Twitter. It seems to be par for the course that these legends wind up with enormous medical bills, thanks to the USian health system.
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
          X