• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Jimmy Cobb

Saw a few hours' ago on facebook that he'd died.

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Saw a few hours' ago on facebook that he'd died.

Thanks for letting us know Joseph.

This will of course be billed in the popular press as the last living member of Kind of Blue. Yes despite Keith Tippett's "You heard that cymbal smash as Miles comes in on So What, and it made you feel, I want to do something like that", it could be argued that Jimmy Cobb did better work elsewhere? Discuss!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

"Then with the introspective Evans at the piano, the sextet recorded "So What," which would become the album's opener, starting with an ethereal bass-and-piano prelude. Cobb hit a cymbal crash just as Davis began his solo, and waited for the trumpeter to call for another take.

"I thought I had made a mistake and had hit the cymbal too hard ... but it worked out because it resonated and got smaller and smaller."

I think he'd been ill for a while as his daughter was trying to raise funds for his medical expenses *Amerika*.

I really liked his playing on the Miles Blackhawk dates with Wynton & Mobley ...and again on Wes's Full House date with Wynton & Johnny Griffin. Both superb live recordings.

RIP.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

I saw him supporting Steely Dan at the Beacon year before last, it was a privilege.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Jimmy Cobb obit. In The Guardian:

Jazz drummer who continued to perform for half a century after recording Kind of Blue with Miles Davis

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I saw Jimmy Cobb at Vienne many years ago with altoist Vincent Herring.

Cobb always struck me as the least fussy of all Miles' drummers and a marked contrast with the more demonstrative PHJ and Tony Williams who followed him. I quite liked his approach even if "Kind of blue" is something that I have grown tired of. The later "SDMPWC" always struck me as Miles trying to demonstrate that he could produce something to match what Blue Note were churning out albeit with a mind to make something far more classy. You can understand why Jimmy Cobb fitted this bill.

Comment

Working...
            X