X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post

Good choice. For me, the stand-out track on that LP is "Monk in Wonderland" with its alternating 3/4 and 4/4 sections. Lee Morgan does a fine job negotiating the changing rhythms, McLean is on Planet Jackie and Moncur is great too. But it's always nice to hear Bobby H comping, he really adds something extra to the mix.
    I think certain Blue Notes are somewhat overlooked because of the bands being "led" by a slightly less high profile musician. This is a similar band to the Mclean album "One Step Beyond". "Basra" under the name of Pete LaRoca didn't get much attention at one time, despite containing some of the best early Joe Henderson.
    Last edited by burning dog; 11-08-24, 10:06.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

If I remember correctly ( hopefully) this was Lee's post heroin comeback period. He'd played a Monday night jam at Birdland, just getting back into it with a borrowed student horn. As a result he was lined up for a Hank Mobley Bluenote date and then the Moncur. I always thought he played exceptionally well on the latter especially as it wasn't familiar territory. All those Jackie Bluenotes are wonderful.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

"The Jazz Ambassadors", US PBS documentary from a few years ago about the US State departments overseas tours to counter the reality of its own racism and freedom pretentions, particularly during the cold war. Louis, Dizzy, Quincey etc etc.

I've only seen excerpts before but this is the full thing. Also includes Robin Kelly, Monk's excellent biographer & academic.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

....I am sure everybodyelse knows this....but I only just heard....:::>>> How a total disaster became the world’s best-selling piano album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIXMkZAcgRo&t=42s

bong ching

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Ornette Coleman, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden & Ed Blackwell at Berliner Jazztage, 1971. Fantastic!

Ornette Coleman GroupBerliner Jazztage 1971Ornette Coleman - alto, trumpet, violinDewey Redman - tenorCharlie Haden - bassEd Blackwell - drums

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Double posting from another thread but thought this was one people would like to see. Recorded Feb '73 and transmitted the following year.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Impressive playing(& hat!) from the Sam Rivers Quintet with Joe Daley, Dave Holland, Charli Persip & Barry Altschul in Berlin, 1977:

Sam Rivers QuintetBerliner JazztageSam Rivers - reeds, fluteJoe Daley - tubaDave Holland - bassCharles Persip - drumsBarry Altschul - drums

JR
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 08-09-24, 19:40.

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

Old world new imports from " No room for squares" Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren, Philly Joe Jones rec 1963

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    Double posting from another thread but thought this was one people would like to see. Recorded Feb '73 and transmitted the following year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QukX9VQ4SGo
                    Many thanks, I didn't know this existed. He was still carrying some wight there as I thought he'd slimmed down at least for the first heart op. Here's that rainy day is a favourite.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Horace Silver with Joe Henderson, Carmell Jones, Teddy Smith & Roger Humphries playing ‘Pretty Eyes’ at Antibes, 1964:

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

A beautiful duet with Andrew Hill & Greg Osby playing ‘Friends’ from the hard-to-find album ‘But Not Farewell’.
                        Believe it or not this was filmed for BBC TV, ‘The Late Show’ in 1991 or 1992:

Performance from "The Late Show" for the BBC. The song is called "Friends" (featured on Andrew Hill's album "But Not Farewell") Blue Note – CDP 7 94971 2. F...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                          A beautiful duet with Andrew Hill & Greg Osby playing ‘Friends’ from the hard-to-find album ‘But Not Farewell’.
                          Believe it or not this was filmed for BBC TV, ‘The Late Show’ in 1991 or 1992:

Performance from "The Late Show" for the BBC. The song is called "Friends" (featured on Andrew Hill's album "But Not Farewell") Blue Note – CDP 7 94971 2. F...

JR

Comment

Working...
                          X