Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

The Gil Evans Orchestra '74 with added Sonny Stitt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oV44XiKGUQ

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

I remember Stan Tracey on a Spike Milligan programme but this is very surprising...

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJH_FmU-yKg

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
        I remember Stan Tracey on a Spike Milligan programme but this is very surprising...

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJH_FmU-yKg
        Yep - Ronnie giving it his Joe Henderson-tinged best in the brief time allocated, Dick Pearce a bit like Art Farmer - not that he'd necessarily go with that comparison! All now departed, with the exception of Pearce, who lived just around the corner from me here, but is now out Sittingbourne way.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

The Blue Notes: Mongezi Feza, Dudu Pukwana, Nikele Moyake, Chris McGregor, Johnny Dyani & Louis Moholo live in France, 1964. Only Moholo survives.

Mongezi Feza tpt; Dudu Pukwana alto; Nikele Moyake tnr; Johnny Dyani bass; Louis Moholo dms. Features Chris MacGregor pno. Festival France 1964

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            The Blue Notes: Mongezi Feza, Dudu Pukwana, Nikele Moyake, Chris McGregor, Johnny Dyani & Louis Moholo live in France, 1964. Only Moholo survives.

Mongezi Feza tpt; Dudu Pukwana alto; Nikele Moyake tnr; Johnny Dyani bass; Louis Moholo dms. Features Chris MacGregor pno. Festival France 1964

JR
            Mongesi plays a very long trumpet there - I mistook it for a mellophone at first - always thought he played the pocket one. I never got to see Mongesi - only have him on records - big opportunities missed there.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

This remarkably good footage of the BofB from 1973 came up next after Jazzrook's link. That kind of energy and freedom (and dare I say the feeling that informed it) is what is lacking in Ezra, however pleasing and interesting is what they are doing.

Previously lost footage of Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath on French TV in 1973. Lineup includes Dudu Pukwana, Harry Beckett, Elton Dean, Lol Coxhill,...

Elton Dean still had most of his hair at that state, Harry Miller was losing his. Nice tea cosy on McGregor's head, though - great piano from the leader too, demonstrating what could be learned from Cecil.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

1967 Paris jazz, the renowned French classical pianist Samson Francois (also a big admirer of Bud Powell) plays Debussy for Art Simmons. Also a vocal from American expat Nancy Holloway who later had success on the French pop scene. Nice bit of period footage.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Bobby Hutcherson with Harold Land, Hal Galper, Reggie Johnson & Joe Chambers playing ‘Avis’ from the album ‘Medina’ on Danish TV, 1971:

JR
                  Last edited by Jazzrook; 24-07-24, 21:18.

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

McCoy Tyner, Bobby Hutcherson, Charnett Moffett, Eric Harland at Jazz Baltica in 2002 playing an inspired version of Trane's "Moments Notice"

elmo

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

Someone else doing a Sarah Vaughan number

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupLullaby Of Birdland · Dianne ReevesThe Calling℗ 2001 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2001-01-01Associated Performe...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

I saw both the McCoy Tyner / Bobby Hutcherson and Dianne Reeves albums toured at Vienne. I still think that the McCoy Tyner gig was the instance that turned my head to his playing. The partnership with Hutcherson was really productive and does not get enough credit.

Have to say that I love Dianne Reeves' music and that she is easily one of the best artists in jazz to hear perform live. The records are terrific but her live performances are exceptional. For my money, she is preferable to both Ella and Sass.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                          I saw both the McCoy Tyner / Bobby Hutcherson and Dianne Reeves albums toured at Vienne. I still think that the McCoy Tyner gig was the instance that turned my head to his playing. The partnership with Hutcherson was really productive and does not get enough credit.

Have to say that I love Dianne Reeves' music and that she is easily one of the best artists in jazz to hear perform live. The records are terrific but her live performances are exceptional. For my money, she is preferable to both Ella and Sass.
                          I should know Dianne Reeves better. Ella Fitzgerald tends (I would say) to generally come early on in one's jazz appreciation - Sassy as one gets more sophisticated. Last night's Sarah Vaughan tribute at the Proms was pretty dire - reminded me of watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium with me mum & dad on telly Sat nites, back in the 50s, when the comics, magicians and acrobats were more interesting than the dance and singing acts, apart from Lena Horne. I was lucky to see Ella at age 17 at the Finsbury Park Odeon - opposite the Oscar Peterson Trio, who came on first and which I would have preferred to be her band; but she had Roy Eldridge with her, who we considered an icon because he'd influenced Dizzy, so that made up for it! For all that one outgrew Ella, we would always love her.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Chris McGregor’s Brotherhood of Breath with Archie Shepp in Stuttgart, 1989:

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath with Archie Shepp Live im Theaterhaus Stuttgart 25/03/1989 Pt.100:00 Presentation (in German)01:05 Amasi (Chris McGreg...

JR

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

A Grachan Moncur album with Jackie Mclean in brilliant form

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupAir Raid (2008 Remaster) · Grachan Moncur IIIEvolution℗ 2008 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2008-01-01Associated ...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                                A Grachan Moncur album with Jackie Mclean in brilliant form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOhhx96udUY
                                Good choice. For me, the stand-out track on that LP is "Monk in Wonderland" with its alternating 3/4 and 4/4 sections. Lee Morgan does a fine job negotiating the changing rhythms, McLean is on Planet Jackie and Moncur is great too. But it's always nice to hear Bobby H comping, he really adds something extra to the mix.
                                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
                                X