Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Ornette Coleman & Prime Time playing ‘Dancing In Your Head’ at Mt. Fuji Jazz Festival, 1990s(?):

Dancing in Your Head (Coleman) Ornette Coleman, the iconoclastic saxophonist and bandleader whose style prioritized atonal chords over traditional rhythm an...

JR

Comment

• Flyposter
      • Dec 2010

Clark Tracey recently posted this:

Stan Tracey - Piano, Art Themen - Reeds, Roy Babbington - Bass, Clark Tracey - DrumsRecorded 1983, Northern Ireland

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

John Coltrane Quartet playing ‘Ascension’, France, 1965:

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins with Henry Grimes & Joe Harris playing ‘Love Letters’ in Stockholm, 1959:

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Sax.......Henry Grimes - Bass......Joe Harris - Drums................................................................Recorded : Sweden ...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Marc Ribot Trio with Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor playing ‘Fat Man Blues’:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Zoh Amba Trio with William Parker & Francisco Mela, September 2021.
              Albert Ayler reincarnated?

Zoh Amba - tenor saxophoneWilliam Parker - contrabassFrancisco Mela - drums(camera conked out 2 mins before the end of set, sorry)

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Fascinating footage, including from 1986 in clip 2 of Art Blakey auditioning young talent for a new Jazz Messengers. Spot and name a few familiar faces to be! These included members of Gary Crosby's then-pathbreaking Jazz Warriors big band, seen in the first clip, who appeared at that year's Camden Jazz Festival, as also did Blakey. Apologies for poor quality VHS, but this is documented history.

The Jazz Warriors on Club Mix. Featuring MC Smiley Culture(RIP) and The Jazz Warriors back in the day(80's). The Composition is Beyond That Far Star by the T...

Art Blakey Feat: Donald Harrison, Terence Blanchard, Lonnie Plaxico, Mulgrew Miller with a selection of the ’86 Jazz Warriors, Courtney Pine, Steve Williamso...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Two Jazz Warriors plus saxophonist Ed Jones with John Stevens in a tribute to Dudu Pukwana, at the 1992 Outside-In Festival in Crawley:

John Stevens Quartet - Dudu's Gone from the 1994 album New Cool. John Stevens drums; Ed Jones tenor & soprano saxes; Byron Wallen trumpet, flugelhorn; Gary C...

Anyone else remember being at this?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Something I stumbled upon last night, an ITV detective series *Strangers" from 1982, partly centred around a jazz cub where "Sonny Boy" is playing saxophone. Sonny Boy being LOL COXHILL! Who also acts a bit... and the music is LOL.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....convivial type of chap Lol....lol....played a sort of convivial set of around the houses notes....(the alexi Sayle of the sax....).....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        Something I stumbled upon last night, an ITV detective series *Strangers" from 1982, partly centred around a jazz cub where "Sonny Boy" is playing saxophone. Sonny Boy being LOL COXHILL! Who also acts a bit... and the music is LOL.

http://youtu.be/CzGuvUdaj6o?feature=shared
                        Also background excerpts from Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia - one being from her 1983 album "City Lights", the other, not sure. Mike Moran, who wrote the theme tune to the series (just before my TV acquiring time), still going, with an impressive CV...

Credits include: Time Bandits, New Tricks, Sherlock, Taggart.  Mike Moran is one of the most experienced and versatile of composers, his skills include film/tv scoring, arranging, song writing and record production. He has been awarded a Gold Badge for services to British music by The British Academy of Songwriters & Composers; a TRIC Award for […]

..and would probably have had a choice in the musicians and the excerpts.

I wonder if the unattributed tap dancer was Will Gaines. A bit of sleuthing reveals that Gaines had done a Sounds of Jazz broadcast around that time with Michael Garrick's quintet with Norma Winstone; and Garrick had done several duet gigs with Lol, plus recordings (which sadly never saw the light of day) following their involvement in Dave Green's Mingus tribute band Fingers - alongside Bruce Turner ("dad") and drummer Alan Jackson.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

On a tangent, but I once had a long conversation with Alan Jackson in the toilets! of the first (and last?) Jazz evening of the Porlock festival c.1987? He was playing with Mike Garrick's quartet with Jimmy Hastings, and a young Christian Garrick on violin. Fascinating stories about the all nighters at Ronnie's old place and Mike Osborne etc. I'm not sure if Alyn ever interviewed him, I knows he's played with him, but that stuff was gold.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Fascinating footage, including from 1986 in clip 2 of Art Blakey auditioning young talent for a new Jazz Messengers. Spot and name a few familiar faces to be! These included members of Gary Crosby's then-pathbreaking Jazz Warriors big band, seen in the first clip, who appeared at that year's Camden Jazz Festival, as also did Blakey. Apologies for poor quality VHS, but this is documented history.

The Jazz Warriors on Club Mix. Featuring MC Smiley Culture(RIP) and The Jazz Warriors back in the day(80's). The Composition is Beyond That Far Star by the T...

[/URL]
                            The Jazz Warriors played one gig which was broadcast on a pirate radio station (might have been Starpoint? more likely JBC). They did one piece which, decades later I realised was "The Painter" by Julius Hemphill. I recorded it but lost the TDK C90 because I lent it to a mate.

Here's a very brief clip of JBC getting raided by the DTI, including the legendary Eric Gotts who tried his best to stamp out pirate radio in the London area in the '70s and '80s.

On 28 January 1987 Channel 4 were filming at Brent Afro-Caribbean community station JBC when the DTI just happened to turn up for a raid, complete with their...
                            Last edited by Tenor Freak; 22-06-24, 20:12. Reason: 93 FM
                            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

I agree with the Jazz Warriors being pivotal in the history of British jazz and it is a shame that this generation is not getting the kudos for their role in cultivating the current scene. In my opinion that generation including the likes of Tony Kofi and the seriously underrated Monsesir brothers were taken for granted and I feel are far better than some of rhe names being touted these days. Never a fan of the Jazz Warriors, though. I was loaned their album when it came out and felt Loose Tubes were better .

I always thought the Mark and Mike Mondesir were enjoying themselves when playing .

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Wonderful playing from Mal Waldron & Jackie McLean with Herbie Lewis & Eddie Moore on ‘Left Alone’ in 1986.

Pity about the disruptive ad.

MAL WALDRON(Pf)/JACKIE McLEAN(A.Sax)/HERBIE LEWIS(Bs)/EDDIE MOORE(Dr)

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X