X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins Trio, Paris Jazz Festival, 1965:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Feeling jazz jadded, and every other jadded, politics, fawning obits for "Marty" Amis, this gave me a big lift. OK, it's not jazz, but it's joyous and the enthusiasm, rhythm and effortless technique could/should be... Shostakovich's piano concerto No2 (drunken sailor), Carnegie Hall 2021, with the very remarkable Yuja Wang...

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins in spectacular form with Henry Grimes & Pete La Roca playing 'Weaver of Dreams' in Laren, Holland, 1959;

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Feeling jazz jadded, and every other jadded, politics, fawning obits for "Marty" Amis, this gave me a big lift. OK, it's not jazz, but it's joyous and the enthusiasm, rhythm and effortless technique could/should be... Shostakovich's piano concerto No2 (drunken sailor), Carnegie Hall 2021, with the very remarkable Yuja Wang...

http://youtu.be/A0A_rCAtIeM
          A non fawning obit of Martin Amis by Terry Eagleton:

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            A non fawning obit of Martin Amis by Terry Eagleton:

JR
            Tel has a nice way of wielding the knife. My complaint is that it should have gone in much deeper. Amis claimed that writing should be a war against cliché...he then churns out "Lionel Asbo" (he feeds his dogs Tabasco & Special Brew) as his "State of England" novel. The Daily Mail it is, Shaw it demonstrably ain't. What made me laugh in the obits was the number of hangers on etc who claimed to "have met Marty in the train to the Hay festival..", and then some banal anecdote.

It must have been dangerously overloaded.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Lars Gullin(baritone), Rolf Ericson(trumpet), Rolf Billberg(alto), Harry Backlund(tenor), Eje Thelin(trombone), Rune Gustafsson(guitar), Nils Lindberg(piano), Sture Nordin(bass) & Sture Kallin(drums), playing 'Milestones' in Stockholm, 1962:

Lars Gullin - Milestones...............................................Lars Gullin - Baritone SaxRolf Ericson - TrumpetRolf Billberg - Alto SaxHarry Bäcklund...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

John Coltrane Quintet with Eric Dolphy "Evenings at the Village Gate" A previously unissued session recorded by Impulse in August 1961. 80 minutes of music, the tracks are -My favourite things, When lights are low, Impressions, Greensleeves and the only non studio recording of "Africa". Can't wait to hear that and apparently Lights are low has a tremendous Dolphy solo. The CD is due for release on July 14th - Here is "Impressions" from the session with Trane on soprano(normally a tenor feature)

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

King Curtis with Champion Jack Dupree, Cornell Dupree, Jerry Jemmott & Oliver Jackson playing 'Junker's Blues' at Montreux, June 17, 1971:

From King Curtis & Champion Jack Dupree Live from Montreux June 17th 1971 with Cornell Dupree on guitar, Jerry Jemmott on bass and Oliver Jackson on drums. F...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

King Curtis with Champion Jack Dupree, Cornell Dupree, Jerry Jemmott & Oliver Jackson playing 'Junker's Blues' at Montreux, June 17, 1971:

From King Curtis & Champion Jack Dupree Live from Montreux June 17th 1971 with Cornell Dupree on guitar, Jerry Jemmott on bass and Oliver Jackson on drums. F...

JR
                    I bet that bombed, ho ho ho.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

JR
                      There are several hours of programmes on the Montreux J.F. starting with a Nina Simone concert on BBC4 at 9pm, Friday 16 June:

The extraordinary story of Claude Nobs and the Montreux Jazz Festival.

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

'Alice In Wonderland' - Chick Corea / Esperanza Spalding / Jeff Ballard

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Frank Vignola with fellow guitarist Mike Stern:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Frank Vignola with fellow guitarist Mike Stern:

Grandma!!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                              Grandma!!!
                              Actually, he had shorter hair than that back in the 80s when I heard him with The Brecker - not short, but shorter.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Actually, he had shorter hair than that back in the 80s when I heard him with The Brecker - not short, but shorter.
                                I think there is a time when it becomes necessary to get your hair cut, stop wearing jeans and give up wearing football jerseys!

I have seen Mike Stern on a few occasions but never been a massive fan. There has always been tha "FM- friendly" label against him. He has been good when I have seen him but, rather like John McLaughlin, it is not really my thing. I would imagine Stern would be much better live than on record where I think his stuff is over-produced and too slick. I love jazz guitar but have always preferred Scofield, Frisell and Abercrombie although I think players like Loueke. Halvorson, Lage and Jeff Parker are probably the guitarists who have most appeal beyond that generation. I like Metheny too but have not listened to him for some while.

Comment

Working...
                                X