Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Cecil Payne Quartet in Paris 1961 with the group from 'The Connection' which was being staged at the time. Kenny Drew piano, Michael Mattos bass and Larry Ritchie drums. Cecil was one of John Surman's favourite Baritone players and this performance bears this out, good Kenny Drew also. The French certainly made a great contribution to preserving Jazz on film, this programme recorded at the Blue Note also has performances by Bud Powell, Brew Moore , Kenny Clarke and Blossom Dearie.

elmo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
      Cecil Payne Quartet in Paris 1961 with the group from 'The Connection' which was being staged at the time. Kenny Drew piano, Michael Mattos bass and Larry Ritchie drums. Cecil was one of John Surman's favourite Baritone players and this performance bears this out, good Kenny Drew also. The French certainly made a great contribution to preserving Jazz on film, this programme recorded at the Blue Note also has performances by Bud Powell, Brew Moore , Kenny Clarke and Blossom Dearie.

elmo
      Fascinating - a great way to profitably lose 43 minutes of hot weather by staying indoors - for which we thank you, elmo.

Just to add, Bud Powell plays the way I was always instructed/bullied - never look down at the hands. And Brew Moore playing the tenor slewed to the side, in the manner of his mentor. He had the kind of haircut a fancied for myself in those days but was contraventionist of skool rools. I don't have enough on top at the front for it to stand up now, of course. The bass player was well and truly blissed on these tracks, wasn't he!
      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-07-22, 15:10. Reason: Second para added while listening first time.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill solo at Montreux, 1975:

Andrew Hill at Jazz Festival Montreux, July 20, 1975. Please also visit my blog: http://crownpropeller.wordpress.com

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

edit - this is one of the better Herbie Hancock videos I've encountered.

Last edited by Joseph K; 24-07-22, 21:16.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            edit - this is one of the better Herbie Hancock videos I've encountered.
            ... picking up where I left off with this.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Thelonious Monk with Charlie Rouse, Butch Warren & Frankie Dunlop playing 'Evidence' in Japan, 1963:

Corrected video and audio. Enjoy!Thelonious Monk — pianoCharlie Rouse - tenor saxophoneButch Warren - bassFrankie Dunlop - drums

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

I had no idea this existed!

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Happy 80th, Jack DeJohnette! I saw him live in November 2012, an incredible musician...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Cosmosamatics: Sonny Simmons, Michael Markus, Masa Kamagushi & Clifford Barbaro:

Sonny SimmonsCosmosamaticsSonny Simmons asx/Michael Markus tsx,bclr/Masa Kamagushi b/Clifford Barbaro dms

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      Happy 80th, Jack DeJohnette! I saw him live in November 2012, an incredible musician...

There's a story Ian Carr includes in his biog of Miles, in which around the time of that performance Jack's then-pregnant wife Linda was in the front row of an audience at one of the band's gigs, and Miles refused to play until she moved somewhere out of sight. Jack and Linda talk about this on the Ian Carr/Mike Dibb Miles two-part documentary; Linda says words to the effect, "He could be quite a guy, sometimes, and yet on other occasions be the complete opposite".

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        Cosmosamatics: Sonny Simmons, Michael Markus, Masa Kamagushi & Clifford Barbaro:

Sonny SimmonsCosmosamaticsSonny Simmons asx/Michael Markus tsx,bclr/Masa Kamagushi b/Clifford Barbaro dms

JR
                        Jazzrook

Thanks for posting that clip. It reminded me of the early days of this forum when Sonny Simmon's name was one of the most regularly quoted and he was a musician held in great esteem. Amazing how the bias of this site has changed since then as it was very much biased towards the avant garde and it was a brave person who posted anything favourable about anything too modish or even brave enough to have mentioned the word "fusion!" I miss the off-kilter comments of King Kennytone and Mr Improv but probably the less said, the better concerning Trevor Cooper who was the board's resident Victor Meldrew.

Did you notice the documentary aout Sonny Simmons in the links on the Youtube clip ? I watched this all last night and fiund it fascinating. Shocking to discover the and-to-mouth existence he lived. He was seriously under-rated.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                            Jazzrook

Thanks for posting that clip. It reminded me of the early days of this forum when Sonny Simmon's name was one of the most regularly quoted and he was a musician held in great esteem. Amazing how the bias of this site has changed since then as it was very much biased towards the avant garde and it was a brave person who posted anything favourable about anything too modish or even brave enough to have mentioned the word "fusion!" I miss the off-kilter comments of King Kennytone and Mr Improv but probably the less said, the better concerning Trevor Cooper who was the board's resident Victor Meldrew.

Did you notice the documentary aout Sonny Simmons in the links on the Youtube clip ? I watched this all last night and fiund it fascinating. Shocking to discover the and-to-mouth existence he lived. He was seriously under-rated.
                            A reminders of the "good old" Kenny & Improv this is music days...

Arthur Doyle, alto solo. the kind of thing to soundtrack a Liz Truss press conference.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Rich Perry with Harold Danko, Jay Anderson & Jeff Hirshfield playing 'McCoy's Passion' at CBA J.F., 2019:

Harold Danko (piano), Rich Perry (saxo tenor), Jeff Hirshfield (batería), Jay Anderson (bajo).Teatro Real. 15 de Noviembre de 2019=====“McCoy’s Passion” comp...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Herbie Hancock: Montreux 2022

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X