Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

"Joe Albany... A Jazz Life":

"JOE ALBANY... A JAZZ LIFE", the critically acclaimed original 16mm documentary feature film made in 1980, winner of a London Film Festival Blue Ribbon and C...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Early footage of the second great Miles Davis Quintet on the Steve Allen Show, September, 1964:

Miles September 64 Steve Allen ShowThis is the probably the earliest extant recording of Wayne Shorter with the Davis Quintet. Shorter joined the Quintet in ...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Early footage of the second great Miles Davis Quintet on the Steve Allen Show, September, 1964:

Miles September 64 Steve Allen ShowThis is the probably the earliest extant recording of Wayne Shorter with the Davis Quintet. Shorter joined the Quintet in ...

JR
          Amazing playing on that - did that band ever cough up a bad performance? Not one I've seen. Coincidence at 2 minutes in Miles doing that quote he sometimes did from Basin St Blues, because only yesterday was I playing Eddie Harvey's arrangement of that by Humph's band on "Blues in the Night".

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
            Thanks for bringing this to our attention, JR. Happy birthday Miles!

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin's very recent Hamburg show can be watched here, starting at 4 hours 4 minutes in:

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Charles Mingus with Bobby Jones, Charles McPherson, Eddie Preston, Jaki Byard & Dannie Richmond playing 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' in 1970(?):

Jones' solo begins at 2:30.Bobby Jones (October 30, 1928, Louisville, Kentucky - March 6, 1980, Munich) was an American jazz saxophonist.Jones played drums a...

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Back to January 1972 and a Blue Note special on the PBS series "Soul!". Lee Morgan with his group three weeks before his er, last night at Slug's in rare colour video. He also plays a Jymie Merritt piece dedicated to Angela Davis. Plus Horace Silver having to play a vile RMI piano. A must-watch IMO.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Freddie Hubbard with Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Tony Williams playing 'Cantaloupe Island' at a BLUE NOTE concert in 1985:

Cantaloupe Island is a jazz standard composed by Herbie Hancock. It was one of the first examples of a modal jazz composition set to a funky beatFeaturing Fr...

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                      • Dec 2010

A doco about composer and pianist Thelonious Sphere Monk (1917-1982):

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

T Bone Walker, with the JATP crew, Zoot Sims, Clerk Terry, Dizzy Gillespie et al, London 1966 or 67..

"Women you must be crazy". I think it was after this concert that Gillespie grabbed, gropped and assaulted Val Wilmer and her partner, coming to real "fist" blows, in which T Bone Walker emerged the decent one. This is in Val's autobiography and it was an encounter that rightly went very deep.

Anyway, T Bone is a joy...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

I really get tired of this stuff being excused away as "but he was a genius", the same venal crap with Miles...

"At this point, Stevie came into the room. Dizzy made a grab for her, screaming about “Fucking bitches!” I gazed in astonishment as he pulled her down by her hair to waist level. There were three other men in the room, but they just froze, open-mouthed. I grabbed Dizzy’s arm and tried to drag him off, but he was a heavy man and wouldn’t be shifted. He was limbering up, drunkenly, with his other fist, so I had no other option but to punch him myself, in the face. With a bull-like roar, he turned on me and sent me flying across the room where I bounced to the floor down a stack of aluminium chairs. In a second, he was astride me, fist raised to strike. One of the onlookers was a local musician who had been drinking. Dizzy was his hero, yet even in his sozzled state, this was too much for him. He helped Stevie pull my assailant away. He staggered to his feet, but I had gone beyond fury by now. I had never really hit anyone before, but now I punched him, as hard as I could. He went sprawling, blood spurted from his nose and his lip. I know I could not have accomplished this pugilistic feat had he been sober, but that left hook stayed notorious for ages.

As Dizzy lay on the floor, I looked around and saw T-Bone standing quietly in the doorway. “You women get out of here,” he told us, and we meekly obeyed. He shut the door and waited until the other man rose to his feet. Then, apparently, he knocked him down again..."

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Muddy Waters with Otis Spann, Ransom Knowling & Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith playing 'Country Boy' in France, 1964:

Concert for RTF in France 1964. Muddy Waters - vcl gtr; Otis Spann - piano; Ransom Knowling - bass; Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith - drums.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              I really get tired of this stuff being excused away as "but he was a genius", the same venal crap with Miles...

"At this point, Stevie came into the room. Dizzy made a grab for her, screaming about “Fucking bitches!” I gazed in astonishment as he pulled her down by her hair to waist level. There were three other men in the room, but they just froze, open-mouthed. I grabbed Dizzy’s arm and tried to drag him off, but he was a heavy man and wouldn’t be shifted. He was limbering up, drunkenly, with his other fist, so I had no other option but to punch him myself, in the face. With a bull-like roar, he turned on me and sent me flying across the room where I bounced to the floor down a stack of aluminium chairs. In a second, he was astride me, fist raised to strike. One of the onlookers was a local musician who had been drinking. Dizzy was his hero, yet even in his sozzled state, this was too much for him. He helped Stevie pull my assailant away. He staggered to his feet, but I had gone beyond fury by now. I had never really hit anyone before, but now I punched him, as hard as I could. He went sprawling, blood spurted from his nose and his lip. I know I could not have accomplished this pugilistic feat had he been sober, but that left hook stayed notorious for ages.

As Dizzy lay on the floor, I looked around and saw T-Bone standing quietly in the doorway. “You women get out of here,” he told us, and we meekly obeyed. He shut the door and waited until the other man rose to his feet. Then, apparently, he knocked him down again..."
                              Thanks for quoting this, BL - what an extraordinary story: I've only met Ms Wilmer on one occasion, queuing up for a gig at the Union Chapel; from what I have heard she would not be somone to mix with.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Don Cherry's NU with Carlos Ward, Mark Helias, Ed Blackwell & Nana Vasconcelos live in San Sebastian, 1986.
                                They were also recorded live at Bracknell the same year.

Don Cherry (pocket trumpet, douss'n-gouni) Carlos Ward (as, fl) Mark Helias (b) Ed BlackweIl (d) Nana Vasconcelos (perc), Palacio de los Deportes de San Seba...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X