• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Warren Lucky and Combo playing 'Thunderbolt!':

JR
    Ckd out Lucky and again, a jazz history. Played with Monk in a quartet and was in Dizzy's first big band in a section with Charlie Rouse. Continued playing and doing sessions right up until Aretha Franklin's first Columbia records, pre Atlantic. "They also serve", as the poet said.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Was bowled over by a version of 'Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most' by Chilean tenor saxophonist Melissa Aldana on J to Z today.
      Here's a video of her quartet playing this tune:

Melissa Aldana - SaxophoneJohn Escreet - PianoPablo Menares - BassJimmy Macbride - DrumsLeisure and Cultural Services Department Present - Jazz Marathon for ...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Was bowled over by a version of 'Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most' by Chilean tenor saxophonist Melissa Aldana on J to Z today.
        Here's a video of her quartet playing this tune:

Melissa Aldana - SaxophoneJohn Escreet - PianoPablo Menares - BassJimmy Macbride - DrumsLeisure and Cultural Services Department Present - Jazz Marathon for ...

JR
        So was I. Another excellent J to Z generally, in my opinion.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

I am still waiting for someone to reissue Ken's BBC Jazz Club big band sessions as a box set, but in the meantime I found this, which I was aware of but hadn't heard until today. Only on track one but it's a MFer.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Joe Henderson, with Kenny Drew, Nhop, Tootie Heath, Molde jazz festival 1968, "Chelsea Bridge" & "Isotope", dazzling performance from all...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

From Denmark, Christina Von Belöw, alto saxophone, her son Pelle, guitar. "You've Changed", live from 2017. This is beautifully paced and played, and a welcome relief from the current all round absurdity...http://youtu.be/SKIPRtXPkRU

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Ornette Coleman Trio in Paris, 1966:

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Don Braden Quartet with Geri Allen, Avery Sharpe & Alvin Atkinson playing 'Day Play' at the Litchfield J.F., 2013:

Don Braden Quartet (featuring Geri Allen) in performance at The Litchfield Jazz FestivalwithDon Braden, tenor sax (www.DonBraden.com)Geri Allen, piano (www.G...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

"In Memoriam 2021"..a roll call of all those who passed this year from the Jazz Video Guy. Quite a few...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        "In Memoriam 2021"..a roll call of all those who passed this year from the Jazz Video Guy. Quite a few...
                        http://youtu.be/yLhZxFdJpxg
                        Thanks for this, Bluesie - too many. Hadn't realised Lee Konitz had gone!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

I was aware of most of these with the exception of Jameel Moondoc.

The last two years have really taken their toll. The notices have been posted for many of these musicians on other sites such as All about Jazz and I have found it salutary as how good some musicians were who I had not really been appreciative of. I would cite guitarist Vic Juris, De, Lonnie Smith and Mario Pavone in this categorie. We are now at a point where musicians I would have considered to have been contemporary are passing.

I have been listening to the new album by veteran drummer Andrew Cyrille which I received as a Christmas present. Cyrille is another player who is somewhat under the radar for me. The current quartet features bassist Ben Street, Bill Frisell and Cuban pianist David Virelles. In the past I have been critical of ECM's recent output but I am quite intrigued by this band as, whilst it largely sticks to Manfred Eicher's tenet's of considered introspection, the premise is made fascinating by the seemingly incongruous line up. Cyrille reminds me alot of Paul Motian and Bill Frisell continues his rich vein of form on recent recordings. However, the piano playing fascinates me - rather like someone who is playing in group where he has other ideas. The dark , dissonant harmonies he lays behind a Frisell blues sound like someone who does not to play ball and there are other moments where he spins off elegant, almost arythmic lines which are contrary to the groove laid down by Street and Cyrille. To my ears this wierd juxtaposition of players makes this disc totally compelling, even on the glacial, freely improvised piece. It reminds me somewhat of the excellent Paul Bley album "Fragments " where Eicher assembled a crack quartet with John Surman and Paul Motian and added a young Bill Frisell as the wild card. In this instance, Bill Frisell is one of the elder statesmen whereas it it David Virelles whose outside playing who produces the maverick solos against which the rest of the group is calibrated. This is the first time I have heard ECM push the music outside of the comfort zone for a long while.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

NB. The song titles given beneath this video are wrong. The first one does not sound like Pursuance and the second is 'Like Sonny'.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Bobby Hutcherson & Harold Land Quintet with Stanley Cowell, Reggie Johnson & Joe Chambers at Molde J.F., Norway, 1969:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Charles Tolliver with Stanley Cowell, Wayne Dockery & Alvin Queen on 'Jazz Session', 1971:

Charles Tolliver (born March 6, 1942) is an American jazz trumpeter and composer.

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X