Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Here's that interview with George Coleman done this year (2021). He seems to be back on alto (I first heard him on alto on Jimmy Smith's "The Sermon").

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
      I've never had much time for Trad Jazz but whenever I see this brilliant opening title sequence
      for the 1958 file Look Back in Anger I wonder whether I should have closer look.

Ο Tony Richardson ένας από τους βασικότερους εκφραστέςτου free cinema στην Αγγλία της δεκαετίας 1950-1960σκηνοθετεί ίσως την καλύτερή του ταινία και ένααπό τ...

The musicians are the Chris Barber band + Richard Burton overdoing it on air trumpet.
      I and a few others on here came in at the end of the quiffed, that just sends me daddy-o era, after which it all became much more cool, man.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Probably posted this here before but I don't care, it's so cool!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Elvin Jones as the gunslinger drummer in the electric Western, "Zachariah", silver foil (baco?)waistcoat et al! Elvin's acting breakthrough, he's good. Shoots the guy and then plays a drum solo. http://youtu.be/g-IRNECavtI

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Art Blakey & The New Jazzmen with Nathan Davis, Freddie Hubbard, Jaki Byard & Reggie Workman at Paris J.F., November 3, 1965:

Recorded au Palais de la Mutualité, on november 3rd, 1965.The hub 00:00Blue moon 16:39Presentation 23:19 Crisis 24:44NY theme 49:05The band Art Blakey (dm), ...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

An astonishing Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers concert(eventually!) with John Gilmore, Lee Morgan, John Hicks & Victor Sproles in Paris, 1965:

Powered by Restream https://restream.io/Today's JVG Live features a remarkable and rare concert, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers Live in Paris, 1965 featu...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                An astonishing Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers concert(eventually!) with John Gilmore, Lee Morgan, John Hicks & Victor Sproles in Paris, 1965:

Powered by Restream https://restream.io/Today's JVG Live features a remarkable and rare concert, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers Live in Paris, 1965 featu...

JR
                Certainly is..... even more fiery than the Jazz 625 session, Buhaina is absolutely volcanic on this. The studio album by this band never did it justice.

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  On a Bobby Hutcherson kick - McCoy Tyner, Bobby, Charnett Moffett and Eric Harland " Moments Notice"

elmo
                  I caught this quartet live in Vienne and was bowled over. They produced an album called "Land of giants" which I enjoyed but I believe there is quite a back catalogue of McCoy Tyner and Bobby Hutcherson working together.

I have to say I love the quartet albums Bobby Hitcherson made with Herbie for Blue Note which are ciminally underrated.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Herbie Hancock with Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Bobby Hutcherson & James Newton playing 'Stolen Moments' at Mount Fuji J.F., 1986:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Herbie Hancock with Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Bobby Hutcherson & James Newton playing 'Stolen Moments' at Mount Fuji J.F., 1986:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
                      Terrific. James Newton is ridiculously under remarked on in the music - a fantastic flute player and composer. I seem to remember he got caught up in some controversy over part of one of his solos being sampled and used unattributed on another recording without his permission. I seem to remember he lost the case for breach of copyright and ended up seriously in debt.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Terrific. James Newton is ridiculously under remarked on in the music - a fantastic flute player and composer. I seem to remember he got caught up in some controversy over part of one of his solos being sampled and used unattributed on another recording without his permission. I seem to remember he lost the case for breach of copyright and ended up seriously in debt.
                        I agree, James Newton is very underrated.
                        Hadn't heard about his legal tussle with The Beastie Boys:

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

I agree, James Newton is very underrated.
                          Hadn't heard about his legal tussle with The Beastie Boys:

JR
                          I think there is no excuse for ripping off James Newton. What is interesting is that the Beastie Boys later repertoire actually edged towards the same musical terriroty as MM&W. Several years ago I overhead guitarist Will Bernhard talk aout the Beastie Boys after a gig and he mentioned that that he thought that they were a really good band. They certainly had strong affinities towards jazz and it is a shame that they had to resort to sampling when it would have been better to have employed Newton directly - esepcially givent the sums of money involved.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

James Newton with Mike Caine, Santi Debriano & Billy Hart at Chivas J.F., 2003:

Directv Music Hall - SP/Brasil - 2003James Newton QuartetJames Newton : flautasMike Caine : pianoSanti Debriano : contrabaixo acústicoBilly Hart : bateriaPro...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                              I think there is no excuse for ripping off James Newton. What is interesting is that the Beastie Boys later repertoire actually edged towards the same musical terriroty as MM&W. Several years ago I overhead guitarist Will Bernhard talk aout the Beastie Boys after a gig and he mentioned that that he thought that they were a really good band. They certainly had strong affinities towards jazz and it is a shame that they had to resort to sampling when it would have been better to have employed Newton directly - esepcially givent the sums of money involved.
                              Arguably Newton's unmet resort to copyright ironically represents a double-bind for a jazz musician in a capitalistic world where safeguarding your own "product" [sic] requires it being down on score paper. I must admit this whole aspect of the case didn't occur to me at the time.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Phineas Newborn Jr., playing 'Lush Life':

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X