X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    Great, thanks for posting. Some years ago I saw a similar thing done with the last movement of the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra.
    Hard to imagine that! I think what this guy does probably works best with jazz improvising as it illustrates the vocalised characteristics in improvisation in a way that is both amusing and educative. Not so sure how well it would work with a slow sentimental ballad, however.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Richie Kamuca Quartet with Frank Rosolino, Victor Feldman, Scott LaFaro & Stan Levey in 1958:

The only known live footage of jazz legend Scott LaFaro, performing with the Richie Kamuca Quintet on the KABC TV Show "Stars of Jazz," April 7 1958.This foo...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

A tribute to John Coltrane with Sonny Fortune, Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner,
        Richard Davis & Elvin Jones in Japan, 1988:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Freddie Hubbard, Norway 1960s, when he was young hip and on fire. With Kenny Drew, Nhop and Alex Reil who more than hold their own...
          "BIRDLIKE", ..http://youtu.be/OAnPXShq-qU

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Richie Kamuca Quartet with Frank Rosolino, Victor Feldman, Scott LaFaro & Stan Levey in 1958:

The only known live footage of jazz legend Scott LaFaro, performing with the Richie Kamuca Quintet on the KABC TV Show "Stars of Jazz," April 7 1958.This foo...

JR
            How do you pronounce him? Kamooshka? Kamooka? I've always wondered.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Hard to imagine that! I think what this guy does probably works best with jazz improvising as it illustrates the vocalised characteristics in improvisation in a way that is both amusing and educative. Not so sure how well it would work with a slow sentimental ballad, however.
              Unlike the jazz video I seem to recall that the Bartok was performed by two people.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

From a biography of Shelly Manne...

"One time the (Shelly Manne's ) Men were ask to play Las Vegas, but when Shelly was told that the hotel would require Kamuca to go through the kitchen entrance, Richie being of Mexican descent, Shelly was shocked and refused the contract."

I've also seen him described as Hawaiian, but in his youth he played in Philadelphia with Philly Joe etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  From a biography of Shelly Manne...

"One time the (Shelly Manne's ) Men were ask to play Las Vegas, but when Shelly was told that the hotel would require Kamuca to go through the kitchen entrance, Richie being of Mexican descent, Shelly was shocked and refused the contract."

I've also seen him described as Hawaiian, but in his youth he played in Philadelphia with Philly Joe etc.
                  Yep - born in Philly apparently: of Mexican descent but no Spanish associations in the name - indigenous, perhaps. Interesting - thanks.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Seems like 'Kamooka' according to the presenter here:

Richie Kamuca Quintet,Los Angeles: KABC studios, 7 April 1958.Stars of Jazz (1956-1958) Program #14). Richie Kamuca, tenor saxophone and leader Frank Rosolin...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Richie Kamuca is not a name I have heard for ages. I had always associated him with the 1950s West Coast scene although i believe he had a bit of a career revival when Concord first started in the mid 1970s. I cannot recall ever hearing much by him although I was aware of him by reputation which was as something of a disciple of Stan Getz.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

I've seen this before a while back, but it's now been "colourised" and is now in much better audio....
                        Wayne Shorter tenor (away from Miles and the like), Molde Jazz Festival, Norway 1960s..."Green Dolphin Street". Smash-hink.

Comment

• elmo
                          • Nov 2010

Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson, Ron Carter and Tony Williams " Maiden Voyage" Mount Fuji 1987

elmo

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

On a Bobby Hutcherson kick - McCoy Tyner, Bobby, Charnett Moffett and Eric Harland " Moments Notice"

elmo

Comment

• TBuckley

I've never had much time for Trad Jazz but whenever I see this brilliant opening title sequence
                              for the 1958 file Look Back in Anger I wonder whether I should have closer look.

Ο Tony Richardson ένας από τους βασικότερους εκφραστέςτου free cinema στην Αγγλία της δεκαετίας 1950-1960σκηνοθετεί ίσως την καλύτερή του ταινία και ένααπό τ...

The musicians are the Chris Barber band + Richard Burton overdoing it on air trumpet.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                                • Dec 2010

This came up in my feed on the ol' 'Tube after I watched an interview with George Coleman. As the London Jazz Festival starts tonight, let's go back 40 years to the Camden Jazz Festival 1981 (sponsored by Dickie Dirt's) and his Octet's gig.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
                                X