X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Many thanks, S_A - I'd entirely forgotten that Charles Lloyd once worked with Cannonball Adderley and here they are:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
    The "story" is that when Cannon cut the "Fiddler on the Roof" album of tunes from the musical, he warned/said to Lloyd, "Now just keep it straight". The result was that CL went into his sub Coltrane mode on the first tune. Adderley apparently exploded and said "if I'd wanted that ***", I could of played it myself!" Charles Lloyd crestfallen, Adderley, "and another thing, after this date you're out!". So the last thing they cut was an impromptu, "So long Charlie".

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      The "story" is that when Cannon cut the "Fiddler on the Roof" album of tunes from the musical, he warned/said to Lloyd, "Now just keep it straight". The result was that CL went into his sub Coltrane mode on the first tune. Adderley apparently exploded and said "if I'd wanted that ***", I could of played it myself!" Charles Lloyd crestfallen, Adderley, "and another thing, after this date you're out!". So the last thing they cut was an impromptu, "So long Charlie".

BN.
      Many thanks, BN - Pity that 'Fiddler on the Roof' album is currently so hard to find but here's 'Goodbye, Charlie':

Goodbye CharlieAlbum: Cannonball Addereley's Fiddler on the Roof Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, flute); Nat Adderley (...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

The unconfirmed news from the Organissimo site is that Freddie Redd has died. Some fine Blue note albums in particular with Jackie McLean, most famously "The Connection" music. Here's a trailer, with Freddie and a very thin Jackie! I've got the complete film on a DVD at last and "it's of its time" but well worth it for the musicians if not always the drug dialogue...RIP Freddie Redd.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          The unconfirmed news from the Organissimo site is that Freddie Redd has died. Some fine Blue note albums in particular with Jackie McLean, most famously "The Connection" music. Here's a trailer, with Freddie and a very thin Jackie! I've got the complete film on a DVD at last and "it's of its time" but well worth it for the musicians if not always the drug dialogue...RIP Freddie Redd.
          http://youtu.be/9LuULzvIFC4
          Very sad news.
          Will have to dig out 'The Connection' on DVD which I have somewhere.
          Here's Freddie Redd with Jesse Davis(b. 1965):

Le pianiste Freddie Redd est entré dans la légende pour avoir écrit et joué la musique de la pièce de théâtre « The Connection ». La triste histoire de music...

JR
          Last edited by Jazzrook; 18-03-21, 02:47.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

This is a superb set - this group is really cooking, well worth a watch:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Steve Lacy with Roswell Rudd, Dave Douglas, JJ Avenel & John Betsch playing Monk's 'Nutty':

"AFTER 50 YEARS, THELONIOUS' MUSIC HAS BECOME AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE JAZZ REPERTORY. AS SUCH, IT IS BY NOW, SUBJECT TO A MUCH FREER USE OF IT BY THE PLAYE...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Mal Waldron with Jackie McLean, Herbie Lewis & Eddie Moore in Tokyo, 1986:

MAL WALDRON(p)JACKIE McLEAN(as)HERBIE LEWIS(b)EDDIE MOORE(ds)  Sept.1,1986 Tokyo

JR

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

Over three hours about Bird. Thanks to the Norwegians for this: you'd never get this on the BBC.

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Tenor Freak.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Charles Lloyd Quartet with Keith Jarrett, Cecil McBee & Jack DeJohnette on Belgium TV, 1966:

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Denny Zeitlin ~ Free Improv/What Is This Thing Called Love at Berlin Jazz Festival, 1983:

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Howard Riley, Barry Guy & Tony Oxley playing 'Cirrus' on French TV, 1972:

Howard Riley Trio - Cirrus Jazz harmonie -French TV September 3, 1972 Howard RILEY Trio : (free jazz)Howard Riley - pianoBarry Guy - bassTony Oxley -percu...

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin and the One Truth Band - Live in Berlin , Germany, September, 1978

John McLaughlin and the One Truth Band Live in Berlin , Germany, September, 19781. Friendship2. SanctuaryJohn McLaughlin - Electric GuitarL.Shankar - Electri...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

Joe might find this review interesting....

The CD/DVD package for Leverkusen '97 showcases the harmonic brilliance and improvisational interaction of Allan Holdsworth.

Comment

• CGR
                                • Aug 2016

Livestream from Smalls

Comment

Working...
                                X