• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Miles, Isle of Wight Festival, 1970. "Call it anything" set. With Dave Holland looking like he'd just left technical college! That young...
    http://youtu.be/hMYVvjoXf4o

I love this set...

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Dexter Gordon playing 'What's New' in Holland, 1964:

Slideshow with Dexter Gordon interview.Performance in Holland, 1964 of What's New.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Dexter Gordon playing 'What's New' in Holland, 1964:

Slideshow with Dexter Gordon interview.Performance in Holland, 1964 of What's New.

JR
        Lovely to hear Dexter talking about up to that point at the start of that link. And an excuse to play a version of the same tune I particularly like for Herbie Hancock's - dare I say? - incisive astuteness behind Benson, and in his own solo, encapsulating in less than two choruses, as it manages to do, everything I love about Herbie, particularly at that time... that ending when he runs up a scale and GB comes in on a high note: sheer ecstasy!!!

George Benson - "What's New"from the 1968 album "Giblet Gravy".Guitar - George BensonDrums - Billy CobhamBass - Ron CarterPiano -- Herbie HancockCongas - Joh...

I have this on Blue Benson, and it is just one of two non-blues tracks on the LP.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Roy Hargrove and Kenny Barron, duo..."The end of a love affair", 1994. The sound is a bit crackly in places, it's a bootleg, but it's a absolutely beautiful performance, nothing flashy, just honest. And Hargrove's early death was such a huge loss.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Roy Hargrove and Kenny Barron, duo..."The end of a love affair", 1994. The sound is a bit crackly in places, it's a bootleg, but it's a absolutely beautiful performance, nothing flashy, just honest. And Hargrove's early death was such a huge loss.

http://youtu.be/fBQ5gWwvHf4
            I saw Hargrove shortly before he passed and was really surprised by how "retro" he was. The set reminded me a lot of the mid fifties work by Dizzy Gillespie that was both savvy and fun. It is shocking to think that he died so young. Kenny Barron is a god of jazz piano. The latest trio album of his is wonderful.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Jackie McLean with Mal Waldron, Herbie Lewis & Eddie Moore playing 'Left Alone' in 1986. Wonderful!

MAL WALDRON(Pf)/JACKIE McLEAN(A.Sax)/HERBIE LEWIS(Bs)/EDDIE MOORE(Dr)

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

McLean's playing on this video is pretty sensational. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• CGR
                  • Aug 2016

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous & Roy Haynes at the White House in 1982(President Reagan not present!):

Here is another treasure from the CRATES, i.e., dusty boxes of Betamax videotapes (some unlabeled) that were recorded from television broadcasts when Beta wa...

JR

Comment

• CGR
                      • Aug 2016

Steve Nelson Qt. Smalls livestream.
                      I saw Steve Nelson play at Smalls when I was in NY a few years ago. Excellent !!!

Last edited by CGR; 24-12-20, 12:43.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Big Joe Turner, 'Shake, Rattle & Roll', live in 1954:

This is part of a series of live performance for the short lived 1950's variety series Show Time at The Apollo which were later re-cut into the theatrical re...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Randy Weston & Billy Harper playing 'Blues To Senegal':

Hear the entire session and interview: http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/randy-weston-and-billy-harper-in-studio/Randy Weston is one of jazz's most renowned a...

JR

Comment

• CGR
                            • Aug 2016

Jochen Rueckert Quartet with Mike Moreno on Guitar. Smalls livestream.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Some remarkable piano playing from Pete Jacobsen(1950-2002):

Bobby Wellins Quartet "Endangered Species" (Bobby Wellins)) part 3.Featuring:Bobby Wellins,tenor sax,Pete Jacobsen,piano,Kenny Baldock,bass,Spike Wells,drums...

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                                Some remarkable piano playing from Pete Jacobsen(1950-2002):

Bobby Wellins Quartet "Endangered Species" (Bobby Wellins)) part 3.Featuring:Bobby Wellins,tenor sax,Pete Jacobsen,piano,Kenny Baldock,bass,Spike Wells,drums...

JR
                                There are some great stories about Pete - forgive me if I've already told this one. His friend Pete Saberton used to run a gig at a pub in N London in the 70s, near Angel tube, using Pete Jacobsen's electric piano. On one occasion Jacobsen was due to arrive at the halfway interval and do the second half. Someone turned to Chris Biscoe and said, "Hey, isn't it time you went and collected Pete from the station?" "Christ, I nearly forgot" replies Chris, and dashes round the corner to find Pete being wheeled off the station lift, covered in dirt, his clothes half in tatters. "Blimey, what happened, Pete?" Angel tube is the one where the platform, which is narrow, runs between the opposing rail tracks. Not knowing this, Pete had stumbled off the platform onto the opposite rail track, somehow managing to avoid the conductor rail, which would have almost certainly meant "curtains". Chris wheeled him to the pub, and said, "I expect you could do with a drink?" "A brandy" says Pete, "make it a triple one"!

Comment

Working...
                                X