Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Not "jazz" but Martha Argerich playing Prokofiev...Opus 83, Precipitato. The rhythm, that left hand, apparently Prokofiev loved jazz, met Gershwin in Paris...and Martha is phenomenal. With a percussive & precision touch like a classical Hampton Hawes. That good!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Not "jazz" but Martha Argerich playing Prokofiev...Opus 83, Precipitato. The rhythm, that left hand, apparently Prokofiev loved jazz, met Gershwin in Paris...and Martha is phenomenal. With a percussive & precision touch like a classical Hampton Hawes. That good!
      http://youtu.be/BeGXLKXZMD0
      Thanks for posting that. Prokofiev composed quite a lot of music that's like that, equally challenging to pianists trained in the "all you have to do is learn your scales" tradition, and I'm hearing his influence in quite a number of the more adventurous among the younger generation. There are recordings of Prokofiev himself performing his own pieces (and of Bartok too, btw). Here he was playing on the kind of piano I guess Stan Tracey talked about when he named one of his own pieces (and an entire album) "Hello Old Adversary".

Skip the preliminary ad, however!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Thanks very much for that. There's a "recording" (piano roll) of Debussy on YouTube of himself playing his "Cakewalk" from Children's Hour, and his phrasing is much more "breathing", spaced and syncopated than I expected, surprisingly so.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Thanks very much for that. There's a "recording" (piano roll) of Debussy on YouTube of himself playing his "Cakewalk" from Children's Hour, and his phrasing is much more "breathing", spaced and syncopated than I expected, surprisingly so.
          One of the first European composers to compose a piece influenced by black American music, though Debussy is not usually cited in that connection: The "Cakewalk" - without its full title today, thankfully! was one of the "Childrens Corner" pieces composed for his daughter Chou-Chou in 1908. Other non-black composers had of course used ready-made themes, of course: Dvorak in his well-known "New World" symphony; Delius in his earlier "Florida Suite" of 1888.
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-06-20, 23:03. Reason: Childrens Corner, not Childrens Suite <doh!>

Comment

• CGR
            • Aug 2016

Another Smalls livestream. Music starts 25 minutes in.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Joe Henderson - Live in Munich '94

From the Philharmonie am Gasteig, Munich Grammy awarded Joe Henderson plays with his quartet at the Klaviersommer 1994 in MunichJoe Henderson – tenor saxBhek...

Comment

• CGR
                • Aug 2016

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Not a jazz video per se, but yesterday I happened to watch the 1961 British film "Where Has Poor Mickey Gone" on Talking Pictures TV - a treasure trove for postwar London nostalgia freaks - a pretty crappy, hammy movie, but one with an intriguing "You lot asked for that" ending... except for its opening and closing frame: Ottilie Paterson singing some homemade blues with the Barbar band clankingly recognisable behind her, but with Sonny Boy Williamson on harmonica! It leads me to ponder the presumably numerous films of the period with such vignettes.

Here's the late great Ottillie Paterson singing "Where Has Poor micky Gone" the title sequence from the brilliant short movie of the same title circa 1964. ...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (really). Roy Castle, Kenny Lynch and ... the "Tubby Hayes Quintet", this bit's about a voodoo. Kenny singing with ze band, from c.1971 although the line up looks a bit earlier with Jimmy Deucher and Freddie Logan.

AND ...Phil Seaman from "The Golden Disc" c. mid 1950s...plus Ronnie Ross etc. Phil literally "smoking"!
                    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 23-06-20, 13:39.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Miles Davis - Berlin 1971

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The last really great Miles group IMO. Still has Keith Jarrett and Bartz… plus repertoire from Live-Evil.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        Miles Davis - Berlin 1971

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The last really great Miles group IMO. Still has Keith Jarrett and Bartz… plus repertoire from Live-Evil.
                        Hadn't occurred to me - reckon I agree with that judgement!

Comment

• CGR
                          • Aug 2016

Another Smalls livestream - Steve Nelson Quartet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Gwilym Simcock, showing how good you can sound with top classical technique on a decent joanna, playing one of his tunes, ten years ago - and explaining it all!

Jazz pianist Gwilym Simcock gives us a detailed insight into the complex interplays of keys and rhythm within a track from his latest solo album, Good Days a...

Gwilym got a bit of stick on the old boards, for being treated as the New Boy On The Block at the time, and we haven't said anything much about him since. He does the inside thing on the strings in exactly the way as did John Taylor - well, Henry Cowell originally did in America back in 1914 in a piece of his called "Banshee", actually, but you have to have a piano with a middle pedal to be able to keep your chosen keys away from the strings you want to strum, or you just get a sonic miasma. That said I think he's pretty good - albeit not especially original compared to others who came up at around the same time, but one can understand the good word Chick Corea put in on the Welshman's behind. Anyone who sounds a bit like Chick Corea (or Herbie Hancock, or John Taylor) is a good sub in a world of finite resources. And I like his shirt.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Sam Rivers Trio with Doug Matthews & Anthony Cole in Atlanta, GA, 2002:

Sam Rivers Trio (Sam Rivers: Flute, Saxophone, Piano, Doug Matthews: Basses, Bass Clarinet, Anthony Cole: Drums, Saxophone, Piano) live at the First Existent...

JR

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (really). Roy Castle, Kenny Lynch and ... the "Tubby Hayes Quintet", this bit's about a voodoo. Kenny singing with ze band, from c.1971 although the line up looks a bit earlier with Jimmy Deucher and Freddie Logan.

Thanks for that link which I have just got around to following up. Coincidentally, I have just put a Tubby Hayes reminiscence on another thread .

Comment

Working...
                                X