You're making a Corea out of this!

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      You're making a Corea out of this!
      There's miles more of this!

JR
      Last edited by Jazzrook; 29-04-20, 19:40.

Comment

• CGR
        • Aug 2016

I like the organ trio format. Saw Larry Goldings, Peter Bernstein and Bill Stewart at the 606 last year. Great stuff.

Larry Goldings, Peter Bernstein and Bill Stewart @ The Village Vanguard

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Film on Thelonious Monk - 'American Composer' Pt. 1:

Thelonious Monk - American Composer - Pt 01Seen at Jazz Garden

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I meant to post this link to an article which will fascinate both Bluesnik and Jazzrook.

Hard Bop: An Alternative Top Ten article by Chris May, published on April 30, 2020 at All About Jazz. Find more Building a Jazz Library articles

I concur with quite a few of the selections in this list, not least Sonny Clark's wonderful "Cool stuttin'", Tina Brooks' 2True Blue" and Harold Land's" The fox." However, there are some records on here that I have never heard off. I had not idea that Howard McGhee had recorded for Blue Note and that he might be considered the pioneer of Hard Bop . This is an interesting perspective.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              I meant to post this link to an article which will fascinate both Bluesnik and Jazzrook.

Hard Bop: An Alternative Top Ten article by Chris May, published on April 30, 2020 at All About Jazz. Find more Building a Jazz Library articles

I concur with quite a few of the selections in this list, not least Sonny Clark's wonderful "Cool stuttin'", Tina Brooks' 2True Blue" and Harold Land's" The fox." However, there are some records on here that I have never heard off. I had not idea that Howard McGhee had recorded for Blue Note and that he might be considered the pioneer of Hard Bop . This is an interesting perspective.
              Thanks, Ian - a fascinating list.
              Was particularly interested in the Curtis Fuller & Howard McGhee albums - both hard to find now.
              Here's a track from McGhee's Blue Note CD:

Howard McGhee Sextet - Tranquillity (1953)Personnel: Howard McGhee (trumpet), Gigi Gryce (alto sax), Horace Silver (piano), Tal Farlow (guitar), Percy Heath ...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Giants of Jazz with Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt, Kai Winding, Al McKibbon & Art Blakey in Copenhagen, November 9, 1971:

TRUMPET: Dizzy Gillespie; ALTO SAXOPHONE: Sonny Stitt; TENOR SAXOPHONE: Sonny Stitt; TROMBONE: Kai Winding; PIANO: Thelonious Monk; BASS: Al McKibbon; DRUMS:...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

DVD interview with Rudy Van Gelder:

Rudy Van Gelder is interviewed by producer Michael Cuscuna, during which he reminisces about the early days of Blue Note, the legends with whom he has worked...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Little Walter & Hound Dog Taylor playing 'Walter's Blues':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Miles Davis with Dave Liebman, Reggie Lucas, Pete Cosey, Michael Henderson, Al Foster & James Mtume live at Vienna's Stadthalle on November 3, 1973:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

& same band in Tokyo, June19, 1973:

Miles Davis: TrumpetDave Liebman: Soprano, Tenor SaxPete Cosey: GuitarReggie Lucas: GuitarMichael Henderson: Electric BassAl Foster: DrumsJames Mtume: Percus...

JR
                      Last edited by Jazzrook; 17-05-20, 10:54.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        Miles Davis with Dave Liebman, Reggie Lucas, Pete Cosey, Michael Henderson, Al Foster & James Mtume live at Vienna's Stadthalle on November 3, 1973:

JR
                        That footage is from a much-maligned period in Miles's output; even Ian Carr was not kind in his biog - thanks for posting JR, will have a listen later.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          That footage is from a much-maligned period in Miles's output; even Ian Carr was not kind in his biog - thanks for posting JR, will have a listen later.
                          I remember not being impressed by that biog - I strongly disliked his dismissal of the first four studio albums of the second great quintet.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

"Stan Levey and the birth of Bebop" - A really excellent c.50 minute interview profile and documentary on drummer Stan Levey and his often overlooked role. And particularly significant in that he was white and the acceptance he readily gained from Parker & Dizzy etc. A remarkable period not just in musical terms...

Comment

• CGR
                              • Aug 2016

How about this? I found it rather interesting.

An examination of one note solos and the idea of what would be a 'bad solo'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

28 minutes of one-note solos! Excuse me if I postpone returning to tackle that link!

Comment

Working...
                                X