• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Help please: identify Miles Davis track

Can jazzers please help by listening to the theme track of this 1966 thriller series currently airing on Radio 4extra:

Johnny Maxen returns to Scotland to search for his missing wife. Stars Gordon Jackson.

Quite a long section of the track is played at the start and finish of each episode. It’s a great and atmospheric piece and I’d love to know what it is.

I found a BBC press release which says it’s the Miles Davis band and it certainly sounds like it.

Many thanks in advance!

Incidentally, the series is well worth a listen - “Scottish noir” written with some style, and Gordon Jackson giving it the full disillusioned hard-man beans. I’m enjoying it a lot.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• kindofblue
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Can jazzers please help by listening to the theme track of this 1966 thriller series currently airing on Radio 4extra:

Johnny Maxen returns to Scotland to search for his missing wife. Stars Gordon Jackson.

Quite a long section of the track is played at the start and finish of each episode. It’s a great and atmospheric piece and I’d love to know what it is.

I found a BBC press release which says it’s the Miles Davis band and it certainly sounds like it.

Many thanks in advance!

Incidentally, the series is well worth a listen - “Scottish noir” written with some style, and Gordon Jackson giving it the full disillusioned hard-man beans. I’m enjoying it a lot.
    The opening section doesn't sound like Miles to me. The second piece of music with the expressive trumpet playing is Miles from the soundtrack of 'Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud' by Louis Malle.

A short tutorial on the use of the term 'band' when talking about Miles is on offer for a small charge.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by kindofblue View Post
      A short tutorial on the use of the term 'band' when talking about Miles is on offer for a small charge.
      If I'd had to pay for everything I've learnt from fellow forumites who know more than I do on all sorts of subjects, musical and otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to afford it

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        If I'd had to pay for everything I've learnt from fellow forumites who know more than I do on all sorts of subjects, musical and otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to afford it
        Oh! - I thought kobbo was meaning something like "3 coulombs".
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

The BBC Media Centre website says: featuring some wonderfully atmospheric music by Miles Davis', but I agree with kindofblue about the opening section.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....yes the first bit sounds like a GB player/band following a Miles/Gil Evans score/pastiche....more knowledgable folk than me about....tho'....
            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....yes the first bit sounds like a GB player/band following a Miles/Gil Evans score/pastiche....more knowledgable folk than me about....tho'....

Laurie Johnson, Johnny Dankworth, somebody like that. Very "period" I'd say.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

The opening section doesn't sound like Miles to me. The second piece of music with the expressive trumpet playing is Miles from the soundtrack of 'Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud' by Louis Malle.

Can’t believe you didn’t spot the difference Rumpole ...... as you say it is well worth a listen .....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Can’t believe you didn’t spot the difference Rumpole ...... as you say it is well worth a listen .....
                  Hadn't realised you knew so much about jazz, anton!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Great shout, kindof Forgot that album!

I would also love to know the track right at the beginning (with the “The BBC presents....” voiceover)... It sounds too sophisticated to have been written & recorded specifically for the series.

Perhaps for the price of a pint (and over the latter) at some point soon?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Hadn't realised you knew so much about jazz, anton!
                      Not a thing, sadly, S_A .......

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

My wild guess for the pre anno music is the Tubby Hayes Big Band on the somewhat wide grounds that it’s a big band with a big fat juicy tenor sax solo....

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

The opening "snatch" is a long way from Gil Evans. As it's a British production, maybe Harry South, who did a lot of radio and TV theme & background music in the 60s and 70s...or just some generic large "ensemble" lifted from anywhere.

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            The opening "snatch" is a long way from Gil Evans. As it's a British production, maybe Harry South, who did a lot of radio and TV theme & background music in the 60s and 70s...or just some generic large "ensemble" lifted from anywhere.
                            Off topic but...

Young Kenny Wheeler with Dankworth

Comment

• kindofblue
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                              Off topic but...

Young Kenny Wheeler with Dankworth

This is great, thanks burning dog! Would never have recognised Kenny Wheeler. It starts off in 'Birth of the Cool' territory, and then starts to swing. Fascinating.

Comment

Working...
                              X