• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

MOPDTK Jon3 29.viii.11 [postponed from 25.vii.11]

well hackneyvi a chance to hear this group's gig at the Vortex on air!

Jez Nelson presents New York 'terrorist bebop' quartet Mostly Other People Do The Killing. Voted Downbeat magazine's Rising Star Ensemble in 2009, the group has established a reputation for subversion, deconstructing standards and their own material through deliberately erratic experimentation and a humorous performance style. The band is led by bassist Moppa Elliott and also features trumpeter Peter Evans, saxophonist Jon Irabagon and Kevin Shea on drums, in a performance recorded at The Vortex in London.

Also on the programme, in the month that marks 40 years since the death of Louis Armstrong, Jazz on 3 asks if his music is still relevant to today's trumpeters.
    Jon3 is in a good run of form!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • hackneyvi

It will be interesting.

This must be the Wednesday night; I'm pretty sure there was no recording on the Thursday, by which time they were probably spent. Yes, I'm pretty sure that if they sound marvellous to you, they'd worn themselves out for the Thursday night and I'll write to David Mossman for a refund.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

what happened to this prog, the freeview graphic was still proclaiming that it was MOPDTK but it wasn't ... i heard no announcement and saw no warning

proper disgraceful eh
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• hackneyvi

It's saying a Keith Jarrett special (being an old interview and some recordings). It would have been hard to top last week's show, I'd have thought, so maybe they just didn't try? I'm disappointed though; I'd like to have had a second chance at their music.

Comment

• hackneyvi

I had this swift reply after sending an email on Tuesday night.

Subject: Re: What happened to MOPDTK?
          To: "Phil Ince" <phil.ince@yahoo.co.uk>
          Date: Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, 9:12

Dear Phil,

I'm sorry about the change in scheduling - a decision was taken on Monday by Radio 3 that this programme should be postponed in light of events in Norway. We are not yet sure when it will be broadcast, but will advertise the rescheduling as soon as we can.

Best wishes
          Chris, Jazz on 3

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

How extraordinary: to cancel a particular appearance as "unsuitable" because someone had died - I presume.

Comment

• handsomefortune

? mystifying.

was the 'rising star ensemble' from norway, or what.... (although ny based)?

Comment

• charles t
                • Nov 2010

HF: I would venture a guess that the group's (M.O.P.D.T.K) - chosen nomenclature was the determining factor.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                  HF: I would venture a guess that the group's (M.O.P.D.T.K) - chosen nomenclature was the determining factor.
                  It seemed a bit delicate to me, at first, but as the day's gone on, I have come to agree. Sometimes, even jokes about murder can stop being funny.

Perhaps I'm a little degraded not to have noticed that sooner? Films with guns in them tend to get cancelled in the days after such events. I can imagine a performance of Hansel and Gretel being postponed likewise. This is stretching the convention but ...

It's a very vivid name. The performance will have featured laughter and hijinks from the band. Perhaps such good humour as theirs going out under such a name could have fallen flat, or worse, in this gloomy week?

Comment

• handsomefortune

but that's daft charles t, and arguably makes the week even gloomier and illogical hackneyvi

M.O.P.D.T.K are so called for a sincere reason presumably.

besides, i notice they're getting over excited on r4 tonight, about historical mass killings, and racism of olde ..... shouldn't this programme have also been cancelled, since it too refers to high jinx, makes light of, laughs at our olde bloodlust, greed, violence, racial hatred and foolishness? probably countless things should have been rescheduled due to current sensitivity? or, imo none at all.

there are much more direct ways of showing all due respect, sympathy as a nation, before cancellng radio recordings of performances surely?

in precisely what sense has this decision helped exactly, other than to avoid the word 'killing'?

in this particular sense, imo it's apparently odd, and mysterious, in that the explanation is not explicit. instead, i reckon keith jarrett slipped jez a sneak preview of his piano, in order to promote his profile on radio! he persuaded jez to change the schedule let's hope he persuades jez to live stream an r3 performance broadcast of jarrett's london performance ...just to round off the r3 sudden suprises!

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                      but that's daft charles t, and arguably makes the week even gloomier and illogical hackneyvi

M.O.P.D.T.K are so called for a sincere reason presumably.

besides, i notice they're getting over excited on r4 tonight, about historical mass killings, and racism of olde ..... shouldn't this programme have also been cancelled, since it too refers to high jinx, makes light of, laughs at our olde bloodlust, greed, violence, racial hatred and foolishness? probably countless things should have been rescheduled due to current sensitivity? or, imo none at all.

there are much more direct ways of showing all due respect, sympathy as a nation, before cancellng radio recordings of performances surely?

in precisely what sense has this decision helped exactly, other than to avoid the word 'killing'?

in this particular sense, imo it's apparently odd, and mysterious, in that the explanation is not explicit. instead, i reckon keith jarrett slipped jez a sneak preview of his piano, in order to promote his profile on radio! he persuaded jez to change the schedule let's hope he persuades jez to live stream an r3 performance broadcast of jarrett's london performance ...just to round off the r3 sudden suprises!
                      I can't tell you in imprecisely what sense this decision helped (what?) even inexactly because I didn't make it. Perhaps the mind that made it is too delicate? I just fancy I can see its broad point.

I don't see that the week becomes gloomier because MOPDTK aren't played on Radio 3; I heard them live a fortnight ago and found them irritating. To me, it's more that by not playing them, the glum week is highlighted by this reminder.

But there's alot of entertainment to be had from other sources, if it's wanted. I can recommend Ligeti's 2nd string quartet and Hard Times (the Dickens novel and The Human League track).
                      Last edited by Guest; 27-07-11, 23:58.

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Speaking of bad nomenclatures...I observed in the state of Wisconsin, many moons ago, the forthcoming appearance of [the politically incorrect]:

The Statutory Grapes

"Yes sir - That's a grape!"
                        Last edited by charles t; 28-07-11, 16:05.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

More un-PC stuff. Doesn't Kenny G have a new group called Legally Bland?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

i think the withdrawal of the programme on those grounds is pretty insulting all round .... i do not think the irony in the name would be lost on anyone, least of all the Jon3 audience and it signally rejects the sensibility of the ensemble in naming themselves thus in the first place .... how very 'not in front of the children dear' of r3 and how this action fits the prolefeed mind of AUNT under Thompson

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              i think the withdrawal of the programme on those grounds is pretty insulting all round .... i do not think the irony in the name would be lost on anyone, least of all the Jon3 audience and it signally rejects the sensibility of the ensemble in naming themselves thus in the first place .... how very 'not in front of the children dear' of r3 and how this action fits the prolefeed mind of AUNT under Thompson
                              P'raps they figured that people other than jazzers, who would in any case spot the irony in the band's title, might just drop in on the broadcast?

Hey, it just occurs to me: maybe, even, that's part of the thinking behind jazz programmes being shunted into some notional post-watershed as unsuited...

Comment

Working...
                              X