X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Milcho Leviev RIP....

More, "not a good month for pianists"...

It's from Art Pepper's outing at Ronnie Scott's that I REALLY remember him. They came to blows outside, but some wonderful music along the way...and I was surprised how much he did either side:

"Milcho Leviev, award-winning Bulgarian jazz maestro, died on October 12 at the age of 81.

Leviev was born into a Bulgarian Jewish family in Bulgaria’s second city Plovdiv on December 19 1937, the son of Izak Leviev and brother of renowned Plovdiv artist Yoan Leviev.

Milcho Leviev graduated from the State Conservatory in 1960, the pupil of Pancho Vladigerov and Andrey Stoyanov.

He was appointed conductor of the Big Band of the Bulgarian National Radio from 1962 to 1966. From 1963 to 1968 he worked as a soloist and conductor of the Plovdiv and Sofia Philharmonic.

In 1970, Milcho Leviev, quit Bulgaria, then under communist rule, settling eventually in Los Angeles and working with famed jazz greats such as Don Ellis.

Leviev worked as a composer, arranger, and pianist for Don Ellis (1970–1975) Orchestra and the Billy Cobham Band (1971–77).

He toured the US and Europe; he was music director for Lainie Kazan (1977-80). He gave concerts and recorded with John Klemmer, Art Pepper, and Roy Haynes.

He toured Europe with Pepper (1980–82) and was one of the founders of the Free Flight fusion band.

In 1983, Leviev became Music Director of the Jazz Sessions at the Comeback Inn in Venice, California.

He gave concerts in Japan with bassist Dave Holland (1983–86) and organized solo jazz recitals in Europe (1985–86). He taught jazz composition at the University of Southern California and led master classes at the New Bulgarian University in Sofia.

Milcho Leviev composed symphony and chamber works, big band, and jazz orchestra music. In the 1960s he wrote film music. He was awarded the honorary Doctor Honoris Causa by the Academy of Music, Dance and Fine Arts in Plovdiv (1995) by New Bulgarian University.

Milcho Leviev’s only child, his daughter, artist Yana Levieva, died in December 2018 at the age of 51."
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Art Pepper/Milcho Leviev Qrt, from "Blues for the Fisherman", live at Ronnie Scott's, Mole Jazz... (the "Fisherman" being Art's travelling drug connection). The lovely track "Sad a little bit", which I think is a Milcho composition. ..

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

'Blues For Blanche' from the Croydon concert, 1981 with Art Pepper, Milcho Leviev, Bob Magnusson & Carl Burnett:

Art Pepper - Blues For Blanche. Croydon Concert 1981.Art Pepper alto sax; Milcho Liviev piano; Bob Magnusson bass; Carl Burnett drums.

R.I.P. Milcho

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        Art Pepper/Milcho Leviev Qrt, from "Blues for the Fisherman", live at Ronnie Scott's, Mole Jazz... (the "Fisherman" being Art's travelling drug connection). The lovely track "Sad a little bit", which I think is a Milcho composition. ..

BN.
        A considerable rarity, that recording, yet I managed to find a remarkably cheap second-hand copy in the local flea market a few years ago. Not being aware of Milcho's wider activities, I'm wondering if he will get a special mention on one of the few remaining jazz programmes on Radio 3.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Yep, I bought the original "Fisherman" LPs on Mole, lent them never to return, and then a few years back picked up a CD copy in a market, plus a cassette tape copy. Laurie (Pepper) brought the entire Ronnie Scott date out on a box set a while back with all Art's introductions and audience chat etc. After Art and Milcho "fell out" on that visit (Pepper apparently thought he "overplayed"), John Taylor stepped in and they played a Cardiff single night which is where I saw them. Art looking a bit "out" but the music was wonderful again. John Taylor was remarkably adaptable to all situations.

Comment

• CGR
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Yep, I bought the original "Fisherman" LPs on Mole, lent them never to return, and then a few years back picked up a CD copy in a market, plus a cassette tape copy. Laurie (Pepper) brought the entire Ronnie Scott date out on a box set a while back with all Art's introductions and audience chat etc. After Art and Milcho "fell out" on that visit (Pepper apparently thought he "overplayed"), John Taylor stepped in and they played a Cardiff single night which is where I saw them. Art looking a bit "out" but the music was wonderful again. John Taylor was remarkably adaptable to all situations.

All those Laurie Pepper reissues of Art's come-back live performances are magical in their own way. Leviev does seem to 'overplay' when compared to Cables on the Village Vanguard set.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

A very talented musician. Wasn't Blues for the Fisherman a critical success? I remember buying it when it was first released. Odd that such albums became hard to get. Tubbs "Mexican Green" at one time? The Dankworth/Wheeler album Windmill Tilter was a different story IIRC - Lost tapes ?, and the old LPs were very expensive.
              Last edited by burning dog; 16-10-19, 21:57.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Art Pepper, Milcho Leviev, Bob Magnusson & Carl Burnett playing 'Red Car' in Yamagata, Japan 1978:

Art Pepper (as), Milcho Leviev (p), Bob Mugnusson (b), Carl Burnett (ds) Album:" Art Pepper / Not A Through Street Live in Yamagata '78 "Recorded :Live at Y...

JR

Comment

Working...
                X