X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
    I love Martino's album "Live at Yoshi's" with Joey De Francesco and Billy Hart recorded not long after his come back from his illness. Here is a lovely version of "Blue in Green from the album.

I have just ordered up Formidable - glad you drew my attention

elmo
    Joey also plays some great organ on last years Van Morrison ‘You’re driving me crazy’ album.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Pat Martino playing Coltrane's 'Impressions' from the 1974 album 'Consciousness'(MUSE) with Eddie Green(electric piano); Tyrone Brown(electric bass) & Sherman Ferguson(drums):

Pat Martino - guitarEddie Green - electric piano, percussionTyrone Brown - electric bassSherman Ferguson - drums, percussionFrom the album "Consciousness"

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Booker T & the MGs - "Behave Yourself" (the bluesy flip of the "Green Onions" Stax 45). "Behave", as I recall was originally the A side. Back in the dayyyyyyyys.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Don Patterson (with Booker Ervin) - "Hip Cake Walk" on Prestige. He was highly regarded if not a"name" like Jimmy Smith or John Patton. I bought this album on its release in the 60s, mainly for Booker, but it's a good one.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

And a great piece of film with Russell Malone talking about playing with Jimmy Smith for the first time..."I got my ass handed to me!"

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

That is a great interview. It is quite interesting to hear his opinion of Jimmy Smith because it chimes in with my perception of him. I don't think he was a particularly nice person and his has tempered my perception of his music. I seem to recall Joey DeFrancesco once mentioning that the experience of working on an album with Smith which was not so rosy as well as someone on another forum who had hung out with jazz musicians in the 50s and 60s described him as being mean. It has made me a bit circumspect about Jimmy Smith and I was surprised to discover that he was allegedly pretty unpleasant. It seems really at odds with the music he made.

Got to say that Russell Malone comes across really well in this interview. I saw him back in the day with Diane Krall and thought he was the best thing about her group.

Comment

• elmo
                • Nov 2010

Groove Holmes living up to his name, he laid down some great bass lines. This is "Comin through the apple" with Clifford Scott tenor, Joe Pass gtr, and Les McCann pno.

elmo

Comment

• CGR
                  • Aug 2016

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                  I love Martino's album "Live at Yoshi's" with Joey De Francesco and Billy Hart recorded not long after his come back from his illness. Here is a lovely version of "Blue in Green from the album.

I have just ordered up Formidable - glad you drew my attention

elmo
                  Yep. When you consider that he had to relearn so much following his illness, it's quite amazing.

Comment

• CGR
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                    ... It has made me a bit circumspect about Jimmy Smith and I was surprised to discover that he was allegedly pretty unpleasant. It seems really at odds with the music he made.
                    That's been the case with many individuals in all the arts down the centuries. Beautiful music, writing, etc., horrid individuals.

Comment

Working...
                    X