X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Organ jazz classics

I was listening to some music on line a few weeks ago and stumbled across the latest album by guitarist Pat Martino called "Formidable." Martino is one of those players I was aware of but had never checked out as there seemed more than enough of Frisell, Scofield, Metheny, Abercrombie and Towner to explore. The reviews of this record are very positive and it has struck me that he is someone who fans seem to be attract a loyal following. Playing the samples I have to say that the music really appeals to me even though none of the sidemen are familiar. The sound is totally familiar though! Listening to the record, it has the makings of a future classic.

Listening to this reminded me of the old Blue Note website where soul jazz records featuring the likes of Jimmy Smith and Baby Face Willette were treated with reverence and often valued far in excess of their importance to the development of jazz - not that this really matters. It is a type of jazz which now has it's own tradition which has endured for nearly 65 years. The whole oeuvre seems to be a movement within jazz where the music is valued on it's ability to groove more than anything else and the criteria of what constitutes success is often contrary to more outside of jazz. In this respect, I feel that it is very much like Gypsy jazz which is pretty anarchic these days yet still has adherents who seem to pursue ever more complicated feats of virtuosity upon which the music is judged.

Although it is frequently limited to a set combination of organ, drums, guitar , tenor and maybe a few other horns, it is one idiom in jazz which continues to give. The Martino disc sounds terrific to my ears and on a par to the kind of stuff recorded by Mike LeDonne which seems to get totally ignored on this site yet enjoys a far greater amount of respect in the States.

I grew up listening to Jimmy Smith and his combination with Stanley Turrentine is as much a defining sound of 60's jazz as Coltrane's classic quintet even of they are totally different and had very distinct commercial selling points. I have always been fond of Fred Jackson's "Hootin' & tootin'" which bombed when it was released by Blue Note but now seems unique in the way it refracted the ambiance of Coltrane in a very commercial Soul Jazz context. It is a record which totally by-passes any notion of being innovative and was indicative of the pop music of the time, on which most of the band members had also performed. The organist Earl Van Dyke was heavily involved with Motown. Ignored at the time, the record has garnered something of a cult following and it is a Blue Note record I never get fed up with hearing. It is unlike anything else recorded on that label.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Pat Martino is a great guy - did a BBC World Service broadcast with him several years ago and he was a really interesting man. Fantastic playing too. He was to have been a guest on Jazz Now but the Radio 3 decision to kill it off scuppered that...

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

Love this album.

John Patton - organ
      Fred Jackson, Harold Vick - tenor saxophone
      Grant Green - guitar
      Ben Dixon - drums

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

The 1977 album 'Bar Wars' with Willis "Gator" Jackson(tenor sax); Charlie Earland(organ); Pat Martino(guitar); Idris Muhammad(drums) & Billy Caldwell(congas):

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          The 1977 album 'Bar Wars' with Willis "Gator" Jackson(tenor sax); Charlie Earland(organ); Pat Martino(guitar); Idris Muhammad(drums) & Billy Caldwell(congas):

JR
          Idris Muhammad once played in a pub near where I lived - I can't now remember who with. Or whom with. Very friendly guy.

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Roland Kirk with Jack Mcduff, Joe Benjamin and Art Taylor playing the very funky "Funk Underneath"

elmo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

The Pat Martino record is really impressive even though the musicians in his band are totally unknown to me. I would have to say that the organist Pat Bianchi is a real discovery and , of you like Larry Young, someone worthwhile checking out. I really like this record which is unassuming and has a "classic feel" about it which could mark the record as being recorded any when from the 1960s onwards. There are some terrific originals on this record and nice arrangements of jazz compositions by Duke, Mingus and Brubeck too. It is a really, really good album.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                The Pat Martino record is really impressive even though the musicians in his band are totally unknown to me. I would have to say that the organist Pat Bianchi is a real discovery and , of you like Larry Young, someone worthwhile checking out. I really like this record which is unassuming and has a "classic feel" about it which could mark the record as being recorded any when from the 1960s onwards. There are some terrific originals on this record and nice arrangements of jazz compositions by Duke, Mingus and Brubeck too. It is a really, really good album.
                I once read an article comparing Pat Martino very negatively with the contemporary George Benson. I mean, for all that George Benson is good, that is just ridiculous.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I once read an article comparing Pat Martino very negatively with the contemporary George Benson. I mean, for all that George Benson is good, that is just ridiculous.
                  For the record, George Benson himself on first hearing Pat Martino. Nice little clip.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

And some more from the same "Open Road" documentary...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

The interesting thing about Martino and Benson is that they both emerged from this organ-combo kind of Soul Jazz. Another guitarist who did the same was John Abercrombie. It seems to have been a foot up for many young guitarists who emerged at the time and I think that it is a "sound" in jazz which continues to resonate and have validity. As I said before, it is something with it's own set of criteria and heritage which sets it apart from other styles of jazz.

What intrigues me with Pat Martino is that he has become a cult musician. Read any of the reviews on Amazon and it is pretty clear that this bloke is consistently putting out high quality records and has acquired a really loyal following. "Formidable" is the first record of his I have really listened to and the tone of his guitar is amazing. There are no pyrotechnics for the point of it and some of the ballad playing is gorgeous. I am not convinced if comparison with George Benson is really relevant. Benson can really play but most of his output has been extremely commercial. In a more orthodox jazz context, Benson can play. By comparison, Pat Martino is a more uncompromising. The shear craftmanship and taste of his playing would be remarkable alone but give the health issue has overcome, it as much a matter of great human endeavour. This is a album I would really recommend and another example of what a regular working band can achieve in the studio as opposed to an ad hoc group of big names. The group is really tight and the musicianship really shines through. If you like this kind of mainstream jazz, I would consider it an essential purchase. Been playing it all day and made doing my bills seem not so bad!

Love the Big John Patton track. I wish I had snapped up his stuff when HMV where selling 5 Blues Notes for £20 back in the early 2000s. I bought loads of these discs back then but you never seemed to find any BJP in the sales. I like this kind of jazz and another good one if "Face to Face" by Baby Face Willette. I often confuse him with the 1930s gangster Baby Face Nelson. What is curious about BFW to me is that before signing to Blue Note and recording with the likes of Grant Green, he worked outside of jazz in the then contemporary "R n'B scene. The same can be said for Fred Jackson who went on to work as a studio musician afterwards with the likes of Quincy Jones. The link with pop music is never too far away in some of this music as is attested in the booga-loo grooves of the BJP track.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Here is how to play a ballad....

Comment

• elmo
                            • Nov 2010

I love Martino's album "Live at Yoshi's" with Joey De Francesco and Billy Hart recorded not long after his come back from his illness. Here is a lovely version of "Blue in Green from the album.

I have just ordered up Formidable - glad you drew my attention

elmo

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

'The Moontrane' from Larry Young's 1965 album 'Unity' with Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson & Elvin Jones:

Joe Henderson - Sax (Tenor) Elvin Jones - Drums Woody Shaw - Trumpet Larry Young - Organ

JR

Comment

Working...
                              X