• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

There's no Armon being Eger if you have a good Finnish

Sat 5 Oct
    5pm - J to Z

Julian Joseph presents a session by Finnish Pianist Iiro Rantala and his trio, featruring bassist Dan Berglund and drummer Anton Eger. And up-and-coming London-based keys player Joe Armon-Jones introduces tracks that inspire him and discusses his influences, from jazz to hip-hop to reggae.

Live music from Finnish pianist Iiro Rantala. Plus Joe Armon-Jones' inspirations.

12midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith compares and contrasts the music of singers Anita O'Day (1919-2006) and June Christie (1925-90), who were viewed as queens of big band singing in the 1940s and 50s. Both served alongside Gene Krupa and Stan Kenton, before going solo.

I just typed "starved" instead of served! And this is a repeat.

Geoffrey Smith compares the styles and careers of singers Anita O'Day and June Christy.

Sun 6 Oct
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with listeners' requests, today featuring Max Roach, Billie Holiday and Etta James.

*It's a new day*, as one fine lady sang...
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Beginning to think JRR on Sunday might actually work out. The Sarah Walker "Sunday" programme is in the morning (9 to 12) and I think it's one of best of its kind. And recently she's played Mary Lou Williams and Hazel Scott tracks as a feature. So, maybe Sunday will be the new Saturday. Come Sunday.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Interesting to hear the track with Guiffre, Bley and Swallow as I never got around by acquiring "Sunday" although I did have "Saturday" which was interesting. Sounds like they were using "What is this thing called love" as a starting point.

Comment

Working...
      X